The Pompeii Brazier

  • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2009
      Greetings to the list,

      I was pointes to your list because of the POmpeii brazier pictures. I am doing some early period research and some of the cultures included have touched on - or been touched by - the Romans. To look I had to join. However, seeing the brazier was a joy and I would like, if anyone is willing, to hear more about it. The cultures I mentioned earlier do not show anything resembling such a brazier so obviously they never managed to steal one from the Romans;-).
      I apologize if I have overstepped myself. Would any of you be willing to post a link to the source for pictures of ther BRazier?

      Karen Hume

      "The possibilities are endless, The limitations are in your mind"

      " I speak the truth, not so much as I would, but as much as I dare: and I dare a little more, as I grow older.' - Michel de Montaigne, (1533-1592)

      http://khatun.livejournal.com/

    • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2009
        >Greetings to the list,
        >
        > I was pointes to your list because of the POmpeii brazier pictures. I am doing some early period research and some of the cultures included have touched on - or been touched by - the Romans. To look I had to join. However, seeing the brazier was a joy and I would like, if anyone is willing, to hear more about it. The cultures I mentioned earlier do not show anything resembling such a brazier so obviously they never managed to steal one from the Romans;-).
        > I apologize if I have overstepped myself. Would any of you be willing to post a link to the source for pictures of ther BRazier?

        This is not *my* brazier, but pictures of a reproduction found on the net.
        http://flickr.com/photos/8048432@N05/2468037285
        http://flickr.com/photos/8048432@N05/2468862016
        http://flickr.com/photos/8048432@N05/2677560988/

        Ranvaig
      • richard robinson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2009
          ranvaig
          i was happy as u when i first saw the brazier also/  I had one constructed on based on your linked photos in fact. it was ages later that i came across the attached picture. I think i found it on an ebay site. There are similar "bbq grates" found in greece- in ceramic which i think is just as wonderful.
          happy hunting
          richard from australia

          > I was pointes to your list because of the POmpeii brazier pictures. I am doing some early period research and some of the cultures included have touched on - or been touched by - the Romans. To look I had to join. However, seeing the brazier was a joy and I would like, if anyone is willing, to hear more about it. The cultures I mentioned earlier do not show anything resembling such a brazier so obviously they never managed to steal one from the Romans;-).
          > I apologize if I have overstepped myself. Would any of you be willing to post a link to the source for pictures of ther BRazier?

          This is not *my* brazier, but pictures of a reproduction found on the net.
          http://flickr. com/photos/ 8048432@N05/ 2468037285
          http://flickr. com/photos/ 8048432@N05/ 2468862016
          http://flickr. com/photos/ 8048432@N05/ 2677560988/

          Ranvaig

          Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/smarterinbox

        • Karen Summerfelt-Hume
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2009
            Thank you, Ranvaig! The pictures are great! I guess I'll have to do a bit more digging for information but it will be fun. Several people in our Barony (SCA) indicated an interest so I suspect our smiths may have some work. I thank you for the pictures. The brick oven has possibilities as well.

            Karen, called Chagan in the SCA

            > I was pointes to your list because of the POmpeii brazier pictures. I am doing some early period research and some of the cultures included have touched on - or been touched by - the Romans. To look I had to join. However, seeing the brazier was a joy and I would like, if anyone is willing, to hear more about it. The cultures I mentioned earlier do not show anything resembling such a brazier so obviously they never managed to steal one from the Romans;-).
            > I apologize if I have overstepped myself. Would any of you be willing to post a link to the source for pictures of ther BRazier?

            This is not *my* brazier, but pictures of a reproduction found on the net.
            http://flickr.com/photos/8048432@N05/2468037285
            http://flickr.com/photos/8048432@N05/2468862016
            http://flickr.com/photos/8048432@N05/2677560988/

            Ranvaig

          • Laws, Amber
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 14, 2010
              Hello all!

              I am seeking information regarding the original find from the Pompeii site that has inspired so many wonderful reproduction and reinterpretations of this cooking tool.

              I have searched searched on the web to no avail.
              I looked in the files and photos sections of this group and encountered several of your beautiful works, but did not find anything on the extant piece.

              Any information will be helpful, but a link to the museum that is housing it, with pictures or direction to a book where information can be found including pictures or technical details would be best.

              Thank you most kindly...

              Lady Eleanor Daundelyon
              (MKA - Amber Laws)