More MORTARIVM discoveries....

  • Kevin McDermott
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2008
      SALVETE
      Well, for all I know, I'm the only one who's fascinated by this sort of thing, but if you can't
      say it here: where?

      Some MORTARIA have almost vestigial lips/spouts (such as mine, as you can see here):

      If you were making something truly liquid in the MORTARIVM, you'd have to be very, very
      careful (I think; I haven't tried it yet, but will) to make it useful. So I was a bit puzzled.
      Truly vestigial? (on the order of: It's a MORTARIVM. We ALWAYS made them with a lip...)
      Something I was missing?

      Well, yes, as it turns out.

      I settled in tonight to make EPITYRIVM for 60 for our fellow-Apician Lucia Dentice Clarke's
      upcoming CENA. Turns out, if you're making something that is mostly solid but has a
      liquid component (like those olives exuding their oil and brine, or perhaps meats giving
      off their juices), the itty-bitty spout works perfectly; you can easily scrape out the solids,
      while the liquids ( with no further effort from you) exit exactly where you'd like them,
      through the spout--the spout you're pretty much ignoring.

      Happenstance? I think not. But I AM thinking about scratching VTERE·FELIX on the thing...

      VALETE
      COIVINIX