Re: [Apicius] Fwd: [GREX] De Cibo Castrensi in De Re Coquinaria

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2008
      It sounds to me like one of those hearty bean and/or lentil soups.
      For carne porcina, do you think he meant pancetta rather than
      prosciutto? Cato (or Columella, can't quite remember) gave step by
      step directions to salt pork legs, i.e. making prosciutto, but I
      would think that salting pork bellies used the same process and
      transporting slabs of bacon was simpler than transporting pork legs,
      but probably they had both in those big supply wagons.
      Ciao
      Lucia

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2008
        Well, in the Historia Augusta, the swine flesh eaten by soldiers is repeatedly referred to as "laridum." Dictionaries normally gloss that as "bacon," but I've never researched the specifics myself.