Absinthe [was: Re: question about Apicius recipe]

  • Oct'avian Silvermoon
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 15, 2007
      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, "apollosfriend" <JimKollens@...> wrote:
      > Sorry, Jennifer, if I am at fault for any confusion. Absinthe is an
      > alcoholic beverage made from wormwood. It is currently illegal in the
      > United States and some other countries. It tastes quite similar to
      > Herbsaint or Ouzo. The general feeling about absinthe is that the
      > blame on wormwood was unjustified, but that it's extremely high
      > alcohol content was responsible for vast numbers of alcoholics in the
      > 1900's. However, very high doses of wormwood are poisonous and will,
      > indeed, cause hallucinations, but not in the amounts found in a bottle
      > of absinthe.

      To put it on the record for legality in the U.S.: Absinthe is not sold
      in the United States because the FDA does not allow the sales of
      spirited beverages that contain the chemical compound thujone.
      However, it is not a controlled substance, you can possess and
      consume. There are a number of companies the UK, France, and
      especially Germany, which process the financial transaction on your
      behalf and then ship it to you, thereby bypassing the purchasing
      restriction in the U.S.

      ~Oct'avian
    • Oct'avian Silvermoon
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 15, 2007
        --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Correus <correus@...> wrote:

        > Hey - have you all heard that REAL Absinthe may be allowed to be
        made and sold in the US again? Evidently they (liquor distillers)
        have figured out how to remove the harmful chemical.

        > Just thought you might want to know.

        There are actually already some varieties available for purchase in
        the U.S...

        Here are links to a couple-

        http://www.drinkupny.com/category_s/86.htm
        http://www.drinklucid.com/get_lucid_absinthe.cfm

        Most of the reading that I've done in the last couple months put
        'Lucid' as about the only brand "readily available" even though there
        are 2-3 different ones.

        ~Oct'avian
      • paul martinis
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 16, 2007
          Octavian,
          Remember the Roman that camps withme(the one that made
          the fullsized ballista)?
          He has made several real batches of the bitter stuff.
          Next event he will probably have some with him.
          --- Oct'avian Silvermoon
          <octavian@...> wrote:

          > --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Correus
          > <correus@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey - have you all heard that REAL Absinthe may be
          > allowed to be
          > made and sold in the US again? Evidently they
          > (liquor distillers)
          > have figured out how to remove the harmful chemical.
          > >
          > > Just thought you might want to know.
          >
          > There are actually already some varieties available
          > for purchase in
          > the U.S...
          >
          > Here are links to a couple-
          >
          > http://www.drinkupny.com/category_s/86.htm
          > http://www.drinklucid.com/get_lucid_absinthe.cfm
          >
          > Most of the reading that I've done in the last
          > couple months put
          > 'Lucid' as about the only brand "readily available"
          > even though there
          > are 2-3 different ones.
          >
          > ~Oct'avian

          Tiberious Flavius Poulos,Centurio,LEGIIAVG

          Make Yahoo! your homepage.
          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Oct'avian Silvermoon
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 17, 2007
            --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, paul martinis <absalonmcoland@...> wrote:

            > Octavian,
            > Remember the Roman that camps withme(the one that made
            > the fullsized ballista)?
            > He has made several real batches of the bitter stuff.
            > Next event he will probably have some with him.

            Sweet :) I brought out a French bottle at Tim's wake at Blackethorne,
            La Muse Verte's "Spiritueux Aux Plantes D'Absinthe"

            ~Oct'avian