Absinthe [was: Re: question about Apicius recipe]

  • Oct'avian Silvermoon
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 15, 2007
      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:

      > Have you been drinking home-made absinthe? Many of my Goth friends
      > make their own, and in their desire to hit that supposed
      > hallucinogenic point, they use WAY too much wormwood.

      Which is why you shouldn't make your own... it can kill you.

      > Many of the anise liqueurs in France are based on absinthe without
      > the wormwood. They are very sweet, and i get the impression that a
      > tad over 100 years ago when absinthe was a popular beverage, it was
      > meant to be drunk sweet, hence the special absinthe spoon and the
      > additional sugar.

      It was actually considered to be taboo and socially uncouth to drink
      it straight, kind of like any other alcoholic beverage. And due to
      the bitter taste, it was usually sweetened. and also diluted with
      water to create a nice luche.

      > I confess that i have not drunk any of the current commercially made
      > European absinthes for comparison. I should ask my Goth friends
      > who've visited Prague...

      There are studies that have been done that show that the historical
      recipes are actually not much stronger than what the modern EU laws
      allow for the regulation amounts of Thujone in the liquor.

      ~Oct'avian
    • Oct'avian Silvermoon
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 15, 2007
        --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, "apollosfriend" <JimKollens@...> wrote:
        > Sorry, Jennifer, if I am at fault for any confusion. Absinthe is an
        > alcoholic beverage made from wormwood. It is currently illegal in the
        > United States and some other countries. It tastes quite similar to
        > Herbsaint or Ouzo. The general feeling about absinthe is that the
        > blame on wormwood was unjustified, but that it's extremely high
        > alcohol content was responsible for vast numbers of alcoholics in the
        > 1900's. However, very high doses of wormwood are poisonous and will,
        > indeed, cause hallucinations, but not in the amounts found in a bottle
        > of absinthe.

        To put it on the record for legality in the U.S.: Absinthe is not sold
        in the United States because the FDA does not allow the sales of
        spirited beverages that contain the chemical compound thujone.
        However, it is not a controlled substance, you can possess and
        consume. There are a number of companies the UK, France, and
        especially Germany, which process the financial transaction on your
        behalf and then ship it to you, thereby bypassing the purchasing
        restriction in the U.S.

        ~Oct'avian
      • Oct'avian Silvermoon
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 15, 2007
          --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Correus <correus@...> wrote:

          > Hey - have you all heard that REAL Absinthe may be allowed to be
          made and sold in the US again? Evidently they (liquor distillers)
          have figured out how to remove the harmful chemical.

          > Just thought you might want to know.

          There are actually already some varieties available for purchase in
          the U.S...

          Here are links to a couple-

          http://www.drinkupny.com/category_s/86.htm
          http://www.drinklucid.com/get_lucid_absinthe.cfm

          Most of the reading that I've done in the last couple months put
          'Lucid' as about the only brand "readily available" even though there
          are 2-3 different ones.

          ~Oct'avian
        • paul martinis
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 16, 2007
            Octavian,
            Remember the Roman that camps withme(the one that made
            the fullsized ballista)?
            He has made several real batches of the bitter stuff.
            Next event he will probably have some with him.
            --- Oct'avian Silvermoon
            <octavian@...> wrote:

            > --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Correus
            > <correus@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey - have you all heard that REAL Absinthe may be
            > allowed to be
            > made and sold in the US again? Evidently they
            > (liquor distillers)
            > have figured out how to remove the harmful chemical.
            > >
            > > Just thought you might want to know.
            >
            > There are actually already some varieties available
            > for purchase in
            > the U.S...
            >
            > Here are links to a couple-
            >
            > http://www.drinkupny.com/category_s/86.htm
            > http://www.drinklucid.com/get_lucid_absinthe.cfm
            >
            > Most of the reading that I've done in the last
            > couple months put
            > 'Lucid' as about the only brand "readily available"
            > even though there
            > are 2-3 different ones.
            >
            > ~Oct'avian

            Tiberious Flavius Poulos,Centurio,LEGIIAVG

            Make Yahoo! your homepage.
            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Oct'avian Silvermoon
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 17, 2007
              --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, paul martinis <absalonmcoland@...> wrote:

              > Octavian,
              > Remember the Roman that camps withme(the one that made
              > the fullsized ballista)?
              > He has made several real batches of the bitter stuff.
              > Next event he will probably have some with him.

              Sweet :) I brought out a French bottle at Tim's wake at Blackethorne,
              La Muse Verte's "Spiritueux Aux Plantes D'Absinthe"

              ~Oct'avian