Re: [Apicius] Shipwreck amphoras

  • Lilinah
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9 10:13 AM
      >... I recently prepared a Moroccan dish called "Chicken Kdra," and
      >was amazed at how Roman it was. The similarity may not be
      >coincidence, given Morocco's location.
      >
      >JDM

      Not to mention the fact the Morocco, known to the Romans as
      Mauretania Tingitana (not to be confused with the modern nation of
      Mauritania) and the source of our word "Moor", was the bread basket
      for Rome for quite a long time.

      When i was in Morocco in Dec 2000 & Jan 2001 i visited the ruins of a
      large Roman city, Volubilis (a UNESCO World Heritage site), not far
      from the Moroccan city of Meknes. It was rather sad to see how
      visitors to the site, both Moroccan and European, were jumping over
      the walls to stand on the delicate mosaic floors for snapshots, and
      how they just tossed their trash onto those floors as they walked
      away.

      Apparently Volubilis (which has a different modern name, but i can't
      find my old guidebook at the moment) was inhabited for centuries
      after the Romans withdrew in the 3rd C., and it survived nearly
      intact until the 18th C., when it was demolished so its materials
      could be used to build the nearby town of Moulay Idriss.

      Additionally, but off topic/out of period for this list, many modern
      Moroccan dishes are quite similar to those from 13th C. Arabic
      language cookbooks, while in the eastern Arabic world, those dishes
      have changed a great deal or no longer exist.
      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9 10:15 AM
        See the URL in the enclosed message for an article on some newly recovered amphoras of culinary interest.

        In other news, I recently prepared a Moroccan dish called "Chicken Kdra," and was amazed at how Roman it was. The similarity may not be coincidence, given Morocco's location.

        JDM

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9 10:06 PM
          Thanks for the link.

          Octavia

          --
          "When all else seems to fail, be reminded of life's magic by the trail
          you've already blazed." -Dooley