lovage

  • sallygrain@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi all

      Has all the lovage arrived? I have had 2 confirmation mails so far. Some of
      it might have been stopped but I figured it was worth taking the risk. Can
      everyone who recieved the lovage email me seperately as I am afraid I have
      to ask for a contribution to the postage. It cost £1.85 to send to the States
      so that would be roughly $4.00 from you'all. I have a pay pall account buts
      its far to time consuming to send payment request for such a small amount.
      Life is just too short! Can you put the dolars in an envelope and send to me.

      Re scissors Whats the Latin term? The normal term would be carver
      'carptor' using a knife 'cultellus' rather then scissors?

      sally

      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
        Re scissors Whats the Latin term? The normal term would be carver

        'carptor' using a knife 'cultellus' rather then scissors?

        I assumed we were dealing wiht the Latin word scissor "one who cuts apart," rather than the English word. And indeed it shows up as a type of slave in Petronius Satyricon 36:

        Non minus et Trimalchio eiusmodi methodio laetus: "Carpe!", inquit. Processit statim scissor et ad symphoniam gesticulatus ita laceravit obsonium, ut putares essedarium hydraule cantante pugnare.

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 2, 2007
          Hi Sally,

          i am so sorry, I meant to email to say thank you weeks ago. Yes it arrived safely here.

          How much do I owe you for it delivered to mainland UK?

          All the best,

          Alicia.

          To: apicius@yahoogroups.comFrom: sallygrain@...: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 05:30:13 -0400Subject: [Apicius] lovage

          Hi all Has all the lovage arrived? I have had 2 confirmation mails so far. Some of it might have been stopped but I figured it was worth taking the risk. Can everyone who recieved the lovage email me seperately as I am afraid I have to ask for a contribution to the postage. It cost £1.85 to send to the States so that would be roughly $4.00 from you'all. I have a pay pall account buts its far to time consuming to send payment request for such a small amount. Life is just too short! Can you put the dolars in an envelope and send to me.Re scissors Whats the Latin term? The normal term would be carver 'carptor' using a knife 'cultellus' rather then scissors?sally [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 2, 2007
            Hi

            it was 48p which I am sure I can do without rearly. Come to the next show I
            do at caeleon and buy me a tea?!!

            sally

          • Larry
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 3, 2007
              Hello Sally,

              The Lovage seed arrived today!!!!!

              WOW!! I opened the envelope and the scent of celery instantly filled
              the room.

              Now all I need to think about is how much do I want to use and how
              much do I want to save and plant for next year.

              Thanks again.

              Larry a.k.a. Correus

              P.S. I got the other packet you sent also. Sorry for the slow
              response but it too is much appreciated.