Re: Recipes Needed!!

  • LrdRas@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 1999
      In a message dated 11/5/99 2:19:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      correus@... writes:

      << honey cake >>

      This subject was discussed rather lengthily on the SCA-Cooks list a while
      back. I'll ask there to see what was decided and pass it along.

      Ras
    • Marilyn Traber
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 6, 1999
        hors d', hors de = from, out of
        oeuvre = work
        hors d'oeuvre = originally a piece of the garniture on a dish, consumed as a dainty tidbit rather than
        as a hearty meal-sort of like conspicuous consumption. "see, I have plenty of food, I'll just nibble
        this spiffy little decorative bit of sugarwork off the corner of the cake..."

        or to make it sort of modern, if you go to a resteraunt and get the slice of carrot cake, and just eat
        off the little sugar carrot decorating it, you have just nibbled the garniture. it is also sort of
        like of you go to spago in LA, where they make the silly little yuppie pizzas that [for instance, the
        one my father in law ordered] had the little sliver of pineapple wrapped in a slice of prosciutto with
        a sunripened tomato shred...and all you did was pick off the little cornus, thems hors d'oeuvres that
        you may later make by baking the slivers of tomato and pineapple in prosciutto without the rest of the
        pizza, hence turning an asiette volount into an hors d'oeuvre.
        margali
        [assiette voulount = quick dish, or a little plate of snacky stuff that got brought out between
        courses so you wouldn't starve to death waiting for the next guilded pig...]

        > > As for the sweet meats, they are described kind
        > > of like an ohrdueve (sp?), so I guess your meatballs
        > > could be like them.
        >
        > Correus,
        >
        > Your spelling of "hors d'oeuvre" is terrific. Since almost nobody knows what
        > it actually means (or how to spell it), I suggest we all spell it your way
        > from now on.
        > Dick

        [the pitfalls of having trained in a classic french kitchen and learning french at a very young
        age...]
      • Radar
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 8, 1999
          Ras - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

          --- LrdRas@... wrote:
          > Standard Time,
          > correus@... writes:
          >
          > << honey cake >>
          >
          > This subject was discussed rather lengthily on the
          > SCA-Cooks list a while
          > back. I'll ask there to see what was decided and
          > pass it along.
          >
          > Ras

          > The best antique Roman recipes are at:

          http://www.dplanet.ch/users/julien.courtois/orgy/index.html