Re: Recipes Needed!! Here's One

  • Glenda Robinson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 1999
      Aah. The cornflour problem again.

      Cornflour is not necessarily made from what we call corn now (maize), but of
      the older usage of corn - a generic word for grain.
      In the UK (and Australia - which may or may not be a colonial outcrop of the
      UK after tonight - we're having a referendum) cornflour is very, very finely
      ground wheat (mainly) or corn. I personally always buy Wheaten Cornflour,
      and use that as a thickener. You could probably import it, if you feel the
      need, or use a mortar and pestle to grind your normal flour even finer.
      There is a slight difference in tastes, but it isn't noticable in the
      finished product if you're using it as a thickener. If I remember correctly,
      I've needed slighly less cornflour that wheaten cornflour for this.

      Glenda.

      (Another vote also for honey cakes being not totally unlike baklava etc -
      must do some experiments!)