Pottery

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
      SALVETE OMNES!

      Do any of you know of a good, inexpensive source for unglazed Roman style pottery? I'm not looking of works of art, but functional, usable type items.

      What do you all use?

      VALETE
      APPIVS·IVLIANVS·CORREVS·APICIVS

      The truth may be boring, and even unpleasant: But it is always better than half truths and out right lies.

    • Jennifer Mackay
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
        Have you tried looking at http://www.soulofthewarrior.com ?

        They have a lady who makes pottery. She does it glazed or unglazed, and
        prices are reasonable.

        Jennifer Mackay-Galicia
        Gemma Northwode in the SCA
      • L E Storey
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 21, 2007
          I have commissioned some pieces for cosmetics and food preparation
          from the following:

          http://www.ironwoodpottery.com/

          The potter bases his pieces on extants / contemporary sources; if you
          have a source you'd like to work with, I'm sure he'd be open to it!

          I'm very pleased with the pieces, both in quality and price.

          Cheers,
          -LES

          On 9/18/07, Jennifer Mackay <mackayjenn@...> wrote:
          > Have you tried looking at http://www.soulofthewarrior.com ?
          >
          > They have a lady who makes pottery. She does it glazed or unglazed, and
          > prices are reasonable.
          >
          > Jennifer Mackay-Galicia
          > Gemma Northwode in the SCA

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Julia Passamonti-Colamartino
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 23, 2007
            Salve Correus,
            Anything that I can help you with?
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 23, 2007
              Well, just looking for a source of decent, cheap, unglazed pottery for everyday use. Plates, bowls, cups, baking dishes, platters, etc.

              Correus

              Julia Passamonti-Colamartino <bast1959@...> wrote:
              Salve Correus,
              Anything that I can help you with?

            • J H
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 23, 2007
                I found some suitable pieces in a local thrift store. Another member
                (perhaps you) referred me to a period ceramicist at www.ironwoodpottery.com.

                In any case, my knowledge of period foodware design is expanding.

                Thanks! Octatvia

                On 9/23/07, Julia Passamonti-Colamartino <bast1959@...> wrote:

                > Salve Correus,
                > Anything that I can help you with?

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • caiusfabius
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 28, 2007
                  Correus and others,

                  I posted a few photos of the excellent pottery reproductions made by
                  Andreas in Poland. His group has made some really authentic stuff,
                  even to the method of firing in a Roman style wood fired kiln. His
                  prices are good, even with postage, especially if you use surface mail.

                  For plates in the Roman style, you really can't beat the pottery
                  plates that go under flower pots, available in various discount and
                  other stores. After they have been used a while, you can recycle them
                  for your authentic concrete and pottery sidewalk.

                  On my recent trip I took 4000+ photos of Roman displays in Pompeii,
                  Herculaneum, Naples (museum), Capua (gladiator museum), Nijmegen NL
                  (museum), Rome (museum), Leiden NL (museum), Arlon Lux (Museum),
                  Strasbourg FR, Mainz DE, Aalen DE, Cologne DE, and Kaiseraugst CH
                  ((Switzerland)). These photos include but are not limited to,
                  tableware, cook pots, ceramics, bronze, silver services, glassware,
                  hearths, ovens and various grills and braziers. I am slowly working
                  on a computer compilation of these photos. Some pottery photos were
                  taken to send to my friends in Poland for their newest releases.

                  I may make these photos available at a later date, in a CD-ROM
                  collection. Currently I am working on CD-ROMs of photos of horse
                  equipment, wagons, helmets and daggers, and Roman shoes, so it may be
                  a while.

                  Remember the most important slave at the banquet was the 'scissor' who
                  cut everything into bite sized pieces before it was sent out to be
                  eaten. :)

                  BTW dozens and dozens of more photos of spoons, not one additional
                  table fork to be found!

                  But if you want, I might be able to post a link to more Roman pottery
                  from Poland.

                  Be well, y'all
                  VAlete

                  Caius Fabius Maior

                  -- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Correus <correus@...> wrote:

                  > SALVETE OMNES!
                  >
                  > Do any of you know of a good, inexpensive source for unglazed
                  Roman style pottery? I'm not looking of works of art, but functional,
                  usable type items.

                  > What do you all use?
                  >
                  > VALETE
                  > APPIVS·IVLIANVS·CORREVS·APICIVS
                  >

                  > The truth may be boring, and even unpleasant: But it is always
                  better than half truths and out right lies.

                • Crystal King
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 29, 2007
                    Caius Fabius said: " Remember the most important slave at the banquet was
                    the 'scissor' who
                    cut everything into bite sized pieces before it was sent out to be
                    eaten. :)"

                    I'd be interested in knowing your sources on the scissor slave...I'm doing
                    some work specific to banquets and this is the first that I've heard this?
                    (And I've been sucking down Roman cookery books lately!)

                    Thanks!
                    Crystal

                  • caiusfabius
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 30, 2007
                      Several books about Roman life, including some I picked up this month
                      in Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples and Rome. Most recently the one I am
                      reading now, "Herculaneum: Italy's Buried Treasure" by Joseph Jay
                      Dean, ISBN0-89236-164-6 but also in the works I have collected over
                      the past 30+ years (they don't say the 'scissor' was the most
                      important slave for a good dinner, that's my take on it, you can't eat
                      it if it isn't the right size!).

                      Also see Dr. Junklemann's book on Apicius recipes, Jeff Smith's
                      commentary on "Three Ancient Cuisines", "Around the Roman Table" by
                      Patrick Faas', and some period Roman plays.

                      I also discussed this with Peter Connolly over dinner in Cologne, and
                      a tour guide in Pompeii. The scissor is mentions in some works on
                      slaves and prices, but I will have to go look them up.

                      -- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, "Crystal King" <crystallyn@...> wrote:

                      > Caius Fabius said: " Remember the most important slave at the
                      banquet was
                      > the 'scissor' who
                      > cut everything into bite sized pieces before it was sent out to be
                      > eaten. :)"
                      >
                      > I'd be interested in knowing your sources on the scissor slave...I'm
                      doing
                      > some work specific to banquets and this is the first that I've heard
                      this?
                      > (And I've been sucking down Roman cookery books lately!)
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      > Crystal

                    • caiusfabius
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 30, 2007
                        -Sometimes I suspect we worry so much about the type of spices and
                        such, that we forget the way food was actually prepared and served.
                      • caiusfabius
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 1, 2007
                          I don't like the way the new yahoogroups works, when you reply to a
                          topic, even if you put a new geader, the old topic stays the same.

                          "Scissor" IS the Latin word for the slave who cuts up the food before
                          serving, although this function might be combined with others in
                          smaller households.

                          Caius
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 18, 2011
                            Ave!

                            Back in September 2007 Caius Fabius posted the following.

                            "I posted a few photos of the excellent pottery reproductions made by Andreas in Poland. His group has made some really authentic stuff, even to the method of firing in a Roman style wood fired kiln. His prices are good, even with postage, especially if you use surface mail."

                            I have sent an e-mail to Caius Fabius but I'm not sure if the address is still valid. Just in case it isn't do any of you know who 'Andreas in Poland' might be and how to contact him? I've searched Google and found one possibility and have contacted him.

                            Thanks for the help.