Re: [Apicius] Squirrels and Rabies

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 15, 2007
      They love peanuts (non roasted and non salted) and raisins!!

      If you give them ears of corn, the squirrels will eat the little white part out first and only eat the yellow kernel when they are real hungry. Sometimes we see the mails do this and drop the yellow kernel to the ground where the females are.

      Correus

      Lucia Clark <luciaclark@...> wrote:
      So we can safely cook salamanders, bees, ... :-D
      point taken. I don't hunt but I have a few squirrels in my yard, and
      LOTS of chipmunks. Any comments on those?

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 15, 2007
        So we can safely cook salamanders, bees, ... :-D

        I wouldn't cook salamanders if I were you. At least not if you're doing ancient cooking: the Greeks and Romans were quite convinced that salamanders were poisonous. They like fire you see (as an D&D player knows), and tend to jump into boiling pots of stew, rendering the whole thing toxic!

        I don't know what the locus classicus of this is, other than that it's a medical text. I once attended a very good talk on the topic.

        JDM

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 15, 2007
          oh gee, Iustinus, I was actually joking. We dug out a salamander in
          the garden this spring. Very interesting, but i am quite content to
          see them in a book.

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 15, 2007
            oh gee, Iustinus, I was actually joking. We dug out a salamander in

            the garden this spring. Very interesting, but i am quite content to

            see them in a book.

            Oh, I knew that of course. But how could I resist?

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
              Following the discussions on this group I went on an internet search
              for Squirrel meat, apparently there is a group lobbying for us all
              to start eating Grey Squirrels, as they have pretty much eradicated
              the native Red Squirrel population here in the UK...so far I can't
              find anyone who's doing it though.

              http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=347278

              Luckily Rabies has been wiped out here, but they look feisty little
              fellas, don't think i'd like a bite from one regardless ;o)

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                We had a squirrel we raised from 4 days old. I was the first living thing he saw when his opened (yes, I was holding them when they opened). His name was Simon and he was a lot like a kitten, but with a much bigger tail.

                It took a lot of TLC to raise him and prepare him to go back into the wild. Since he had no mother, we had to help him learn how to jump and climb and all that sort of stuff.

                It was hard when the day came for us to release him back into the wild but we did. However, we were some of the lucky ones. Simon did not go completely wild but would actually come to us when we called. Eventually he did become more wild, but as long as we were gentle and quite we could still walk up to him and feed him and bet him.

                He would even give us little love bites, but wouldn't bite us hard at all. We have had several bite us, but that was because they were in pain or just plain scared.

                Squirrels only have a life span of 5 years in the wild, so we believe he is dead now. But we do know his children are running around in our trees. We thought that perhaps he was dead a couple of years ago because of all the other males out there. Squirrels are very territorial and the wild males in our yard did not like Simon.

                Anyway, as I said, we thought he was dead a couple of years ago because we hadn't seen him in a while. Then, one day while visiting my parents (where we had found him) my wife happened to look up into one of their trees and she said "Honey, there's Simon"! We couldn't believe it, it WAS him!! We hadn't seen him in a year and there he was, in a tree at my parents house! We walked up to the tree and called up to him. He immediately came to us so we gave him a peanut and some water.

                To this day, every once in a while we will be cleaning something in the house and we will find a peanut or walnut that Simon hid in the house. We even have a walnut tree growing that started as a nut Simon planted in a house plant.

                Correus

                toast_y_toes <alicia_faye@...> wrote:
                Following the discussions on this group I went on an internet search
                for Squirrel meat, apparently there is a group lobbying for us all
                to start eating Grey Squirrels, as they have pretty much eradicated
                the native Red Squirrel population here in the UK...so far I can't
                find anyone who's doing it though.

                http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=347278

                Luckily Rabies has been wiped out here, but they look feisty little
                fellas, don't think i'd like a bite from one regardless ;o)

                --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Correus <correus@...> wrote:

                > Um...
                >
                > The wife and I rehabilitate small animals and our specialty are
                squirrels.

                > Please look at the following information before you start
                thinking al squirrels are rabid.

                > Small Wild Animal Bites: Rodents such as mice, rats, moles,
                gophers, chipmunks, prairie dogs and rabbits fortunately are
                considered free of rabies. Squirrels rarely carry rabies, but have
                not transmitted it to humans.
                > Taken form:
                http://www.sflpp.com/ParentCare/AnimalOrHumanBite.html

                > No. Squirrels are not a primary threat of transfer of rabies,
                raccoons and
                > skunks are the most common carriers, but any mammal can carry
                rabies,
                > squirrels can and will bite people, so there is a danger, even if
                perhaps
                > smaller than with other animals.
                > Taken from:
                http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01314.htm

                > What animals almost never have rabies? Rabbits, hamsters,
                squirrels, chipmunks, guinea pigs, gerbils, opossums, rats, and mice
                are hardly ever affected with rabies (Birds, fish, bugs, amphibians,
                & reptiles don't get rabies either.) . You may still need a tetanus
                shot or other medical care if these animals bite you.
                > Taken from: http://pelotes.jea.com/rabies.htm
                >
                > Some animals, including chipmunks, gerbils, guinea pigs,
                hamsters, mice, rabbits, rats and squirrels, rarely get rabies.
                Birds, fish, insects, lizards, snakes and turtles never get rabies.
                > Taken from: http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/hb/hbrabies.htm
                >
                > Correus

              • Kevin McDermott
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                  --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Correus <correus@...> wrote:
                  > We had a squirrel we raised from 4 days old. I was the first living thing he
                  saw when his opened (yes, I was holding them when they opened).

                  Well, this is admittedly getting pretty wide of the mark vis-a-vis roman cookery:
                  but, hey! the romans raised dormice in captivity and had household pets
                  (unconvincing segue/excuse...): I had a similar experience. Being the
                  neighborhood animal lovers, when a cat killed the mother of a newly-born
                  brood of 5 chipmunks, the owners brought the clutch to us (I was about 9 at
                  the time). Their eyes were still closed, of course; tiny hairless bluish lumps,
                  they were. We tried feeding them milk from a baby doll's bottle; four
                  succumbed very quickly, but the fifth survived, and yes: I was the first thing he
                  ever saw. We didn't even try to return him to the wild; he had never known
                  anything but captivity. He was a wonderful pet, and in spring would sing long,
                  elaborate and florid songs, just like a bird. The rest of the year, squeeks and
                  gibbers. Although his cage was small, he would gather up seeds, hop on the
                  exercise wheel, run like the dickens for a while, and then hide them in another
                  corner, not 18 inches from where he'd gotten them (at least to us; it might have
                  been MILES away to him...) If it weren't illegal to keep in captivity, I'd get
                  another for a pet in a second: an affectionate, clever little animal....he never
                  had a name; for whatever reason, now lost in memory, he was just called "the
                  gubby." He lived for 13 years.

                  COIVINIX, who now has to go back into the kitchen and make HAPALOS
                  ARTOS
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                    Hey Kevin!

                    I hear they are fun little critters! I wish we could have kept Simon as a pet, but it is illegal here, as it is in your area. I know no one would have probably turned us in, but as a squirrel gets older it needs more and more room to jump and play. When we released Simon he was to the point that he could jump up onto the kitchen counter, then to the top of the fridge, and then into the light fixture in the middle of the prep area. We just couldn't risk him trying to live in something like a light fixture! LOL LOL LOL

                    Correus

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                      Well, ok, I did find a baby bunny once, who could not move a leg and
                      had been abandoned by his mother. He did survive for a few days, and
                      watching him die in my lap was one of the hardest things I have done.
                      Then there is the story of Tortellini, my son's hamster, who had a
                      suicidal bent and kept escaping from his cage (live free or die?). we
                      did find him a few times in the bathtub or behind the couches, until
                      one day he really disappeared.
                      About lovage seeds: I did munch on a few, even if they are really not
                      dry yet. Not half bad, with a strong lovage taste. At the moment I am
                      lolling in my mouth celery seeds (this IS dedication to the cause).
                      They release a fresh, pungent, almost minty-like aftertaste, with an
                      undertone of mild bitterness. How is that.
                      Lucia, very happy with her two Maine Coon cats.

                      At 02:05 PM 7/16/2007, you wrote:

                      >--- In <mailto:Apicius%40yahoogroups.com>Apicius@yahoogroups.com,
                      >Correus <correus@...> wrote:
                      > > We had a squirrel we raised from 4 days old. I was the first
                      > living thing he
                      >saw when his opened (yes, I was holding them when they opened).
                      >
                      >Well, this is admittedly getting pretty wide of the mark vis-a-vis
                      >roman cookery:
                      >but, hey! the romans raised dormice in captivity and had household pets
                      >(unconvincing segue/excuse...): I had a similar experience. Being the
                      >neighborhood animal lovers, when a cat killed the mother of a newly-born
                      >brood of 5 chipmunks, the owners brought the clutch to us (I was about 9 at
                      >the time). Their eyes were still closed, of course; tiny hairless
                      >bluish lumps,
                      >they were. We tried feeding them milk from a baby doll's bottle; four
                      >succumbed very quickly, but the fifth survived, and yes: I was the
                      >first thing he
                      >ever saw. We didn't even try to return him to the wild; he had never known
                      >anything but captivity. He was a wonderful pet, and in spring would
                      >sing long,
                      >elaborate and florid songs, just like a bird. The rest of the year,
                      >squeeks and
                      >gibbers. Although his cage was small, he would gather up seeds, hop on the
                      >exercise wheel, run like the dickens for a while, and then hide them
                      >in another
                      >corner, not 18 inches from where he'd gotten them (at least to us;
                      >it might have
                      >been MILES away to him...) If it weren't illegal to keep in
                      >captivity, I'd get
                      >another for a pet in a second: an affectionate, clever little
                      >animal....he never
                      >had a name; for whatever reason, now lost in memory, he was just called "the
                      >gubby." He lived for 13 years.
                      >
                      >COIVINIX, who now has to go back into the kitchen and make HAPALOS
                      >ARTOS

                    • toast_y_toes
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
                        I'm DEFINITELY not trying squirrel meat after that story, how cute!

                        Would be like eating Mr Ed or Lassie!

                        They sell chipmunks in pet shops here....but you're right, thats
                        straying really far off the mark of cookery.

                        I'm going to avoid the doormice recipes :O)