Re: [Apicius] Dining in Pompeii

  • J. May
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 9 9:13 AM
      Dormouse is an endangered species today. It's a "fat, arboreal, rat-like
      creature" in what I've read. I'm not sure which arboreal creature to
      substitute, or which are available from a willing butcher. There are a
      few women who have substituted chicken, with the idea that all funky
      meats taste like chicken anyway. :)

      Samia

      geranioj@... wrote:
      > What about dormice?? Sounds really gross?
      >
      > Joe

    • toast_y_toes
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 12 6:18 AM
        I Find Boned Chicken thighs are quite good, as they are about
        doormouse size, and can be stuffed easily, I can't imagine that
        Doormice have a very strong flavour, so perhaps Chicken is the closest
        approximation. :o)

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 12 7:07 AM
          Have you tried the common squirrel?

          Correus

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 12 7:07 AM
            Have you tried the common squirrel?

            Correus

            toast_y_toes <alicia_faye@...> wrote:
            I Find Boned Chicken thighs are quite good, as they are about
            doormouse size, and can be stuffed easily, I can't imagine that
            Doormice have a very strong flavour, so perhaps Chicken is the closest
            approximation. :o)

            -- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, "J. May" <jmay@...> wrote:

            > Dormouse is an endangered species today. It's a "fat, arboreal, rat-
            like
            > creature" in what I've read. I'm not sure which arboreal creature to
            > substitute, or which are available from a willing butcher. There are
            > few women who have substituted chicken, with the idea that all funky
            > meats taste like chicken anyway. :)
            >
            > Samia
            >
            > geranioj@... wrote:
            > > What about dormice?? Sounds really gross?
            > >
            > > Joe

          • toast_y_toes
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 12 9:07 AM
              Unfortunately (?) not, living in the city centre isn't conducive to
              brandishing an air rifle around :o) and they certainly don't sell it
              around here, what's it like?

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 12 9:44 AM
                Well, it's kind of hard to describe....not really sure HOW to describe it. It can be as delicate as chicken, yet rich & earthy. Depending on how it is fixed it can be either tough or smooth and buttery. The older the squirrel is the tougher it gets, that much I do know.

                Some specialty butchers and meat shops carry farm raised squirrel.

              • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 12 11:01 AM
                  >Unfortunately (?) not, living in the city centre isn't conducive to
                  >brandishing an air rifle around :o) and they certainly don't sell it
                  >around here, what's it like?Yahoo! Groups Links

                  You could make false dormice. We did these once with ground chicken.
                  http://www.panix.com/~nexus/cooking/cc34.shtml

                  Ranvaig
                • Aurelia Coritana
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 12 5:26 PM
                    --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Correus <correus@...> wrote:

                    > Have you tried the common squirrel?
                    >
                    > Correus

                    What about a really fat hamster?
                    -Aurelia
                  • toast_y_toes
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 13 1:03 AM
                      See, I always think of the commonal garedn dormouse when I think of
                      them, but edible ones are much bigger aren't they, i keep imagining
                      Romans stuffing these tiny little bite size things!

                      I've not seen Squirrel meat anywhere in the UK, but i'll keep an eye
                      out, Is it in any way similar to tender Rabbit?

                      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, "Aurelia Coritana"

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 13 6:04 AM
                        Not sure...never heard of tender rabbit! LOL

                        It is similar to the wild rabbit, IMHO anyway. Maybe a little richer.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 14 6:18 PM
                          Well, the doormice in Italian translates as Ghiro, and it is an
                          animal roughly 10 inches long, with a tail just as long, chubby and
                          with a very long hibernation period, which made it an ideal small
                          food supply to keep in household jars. I would think rabbit meat
                          could be a good substitute, unless one wants to go hunt squirrels or
                          wild bunnies you can see pictures
                          at http://www.fotosearch.com/JNB002/00089993/
                          cheers
                          Lucia