Apicius: Apricots?????

  • Glenda Robinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 1999
      Ave,

      I've been told that Edward's version of Apicius mentions Apricots in:

      Book III Part iv recipe viii
      Book IV Part v recipe vi
      Book IV Part iii recipe vi.

      I haven't seen them in any other recipe books I've got (including my Vehling
      version of Apicius), or any recollection of them inany frescos/mosaics etc.
      My version mentions peaches in iii(iv)(viii) and doesn't specify what type
      of fruits in the other two.

      What do other versions of this book say?

      also... I was wondering if the Flowers and Rosenbaum (or any others) has the
      original latin? If so, I'll put it on top of the 'cookbooks to buy' list.
      (Three ancient cookbooks, plus excerpts from others just isn't enough!)

      Glenda.
    • MaierSoft@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 1999
        Dear Glenda,

        what Apicius called "praecoquia" seems to be some sort
        of apricots or precocious peaches. I translated the term
        as apricots in my Latin-German edition of Apicius (edited
        by Reclam, Stuttgart 1991, see:
        http://members.aol.com/maiersoft/Apicius/Apicius.htm).
        There are two recipes where Apicius uses "praecoquia":

        ( 4, 3, 6) Minutal ex praecoquis: adicies in caccabo oleum,
        liquamen, vinum, concides cepam Ascaloniam aridam,
        spatulam porcinam coctam tessellatim concides. His omnibus
        coctis teres piper, cuminum, mentam siccam, anethum,
        suffundis mel, liquamen, passum, acetum modice,
        ius de suo sibi, temperabis. Praecoquia enucleata mittis,
        facies ut ferveant, donec percoquantur. Tracta confringes,
        ex ea obligas. Piper aspargis et inferes.

        ( 4, 5, 4) Gustum de praecoquiis: duracina primotica
        [pusilla praecoquia] purgas, enucleas, in frigidam mittis, in
        patina componis. Teres piper, mentam siccam, suffundis
        liquamen, adicies mel, passum, vinum et acetum. Refundis
        in patina super praecoquia, olei modicum mittis et
        lento igni ferveat. Cum ferbuerit, amulo obligas. Piper
        aspargis et inferes.

        In one recipe Apicius uses only "duracina" which means
        perhaps some other species of small peaches (nectarines?):

        ( 3, 4, 8) Aliter cucurbitas cum gallina: duracina, tubera, piper,
        careum, cuminum, silfi, condimenta viridia, mentam,
        apium, coriandrum, puleium, caromentam, mel, vinum, liquamen,
        oleum et acetum.

        Best regards

        Robert Maier
      • ChannonM@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 1999
          In a message dated 11/1/99 12:42:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          glendar@... writes:

          << was wondering if the Flowers and Rosenbaum (or any others) has the
          original latin? >>

          yes, and there are 2 recipes with apricots;
          Fricasse with apricots- Minutal ex praecoquis
          and
          Stew of apricots- Gustum de praecoquis

          hope that helps

          Hauviette
        • Marco Berni
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 1999
            Edwards does indeed have three recipes featuring apricots.

            Ham and Apricot Ragout (page 93 in Century paperback rider editon)
            Spiced Squash with Cicken and Apricots (40)
            Sweet apricot hors d'oevres (97)

            He also has one recipe featuring peaches:

            Peaches cooked with cumin (83)

            The century (rider) version has translations of the latin but not the latin itself.

            Giacosa on the other hand has Peach patina, Apricot appetizer and apricot fricassea. This book has
            the latin text of each recipe. She also says this about the fruits:

            "From the first century AD there were peaches and apricots: the apricot (malum armeniacum or precox
            or precoquium) came from Armenia, the peach (malum persicum) from Persia as there latin names
            suggest."

            Marco