Trivia from the forum

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2007
      Salvete
      I am in Italy and there is some useless observations on the wild
      plants around the Roman Forum. At this point, in February, I observed
      the first Matricaria Romana, wild chamomile, the first fennel,
      blossoms on the laurels, nice big plants of Angelica Arcangelica,
      Malva (mallum), and something that looked like cicuta (that's the
      Italian spelling. The plant used to kill Socrates) but I decided not
      to taste it, just in case I was right. In a bookstore I saw for the
      first time books on Roman cuisine in Italian. About time!
      That's all. Weather is nice and mild
      Lucia
    • Venetian Cat Studio
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2007
        Wish I was there with you Lucia! I can smell the Chamomile now...
        Best,
        Julia

        THE VENETIAN CAT STUDIO
        aka "The Royal House of Cat"
        Historical Reproduction Pottery and Fine Art
        http://venetiancat.com

        "As you change your thoughts, so you change your world."
        Julia (aka Iulia) Passamonti
        Legio III Cyrenaica
        Maker of Amphorae

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2007
          Cool, Lucia!

          I am always excited to see herbs growing naturally (e.g. I see fennel growing wild at the side of roads when ever I visit the U.S. West Coast), and to see them in the Forum is that much cooler. I've been to the forum a couple times, but not really since I've gotten into edible plants.

          In any case, the English name for malva is "mallow" (malva is also the Latin name... not sure where you get mallum), and cicuta (again, both Italian and Latin) is "hemlock." Of course "hemlock" is also the name of a totaly unrelated coniferous tree, genus Tsuga.

          JDM

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 22, 2007
            Always glad to get my facts straight. I guess Mallum is what my
            mediterranean ears understand when they hear Mallow. It's Pompeii
            tomorrow folks!
            Lucia