SAVILLVM

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 12, 2006
      Okay, where is the recipe you all are using for SAVILLVM located?
      Which book?

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
        I stick with the original from Cato, with a few modifications here
        and there. For example, I had some egg whites left over from making
        mayonnaise, so I added them to the savillum together with a couple of
        whole eggs.
        Lucia

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
          Which book? I might have to look for it on-line or at the university library.

          I could find no reference to SAVILLVM in any of my Roman cookbooks.

          Correus

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
            Cato's De Agri Cultura. Available in any library. I have the Loeb
            edition (Latin and English page to page) but there is a Dalby
            translation, also Latin-English page to page, with a much clearer English.
            I think you can order it on Amazon or Alibris or Abebooks
            Lucia

            At 09:16 AM 12/13/2006, you wrote:

            >Which book? I might have to look for it on-line or at the university library.
            >
            >I could find no reference to SAVILLVM in any of my Roman cookbooks.
            >
            >Correus
            >
            >Lucia Clark
            ><<mailto:luciaclark%40luciadentice.com>luciaclark@...> wrote:
            >I stick with the original from Cato, with a few modifications here
            >and there. For example, I had some egg whites left over from making
            >mayonnaise, so I added them to the savillum together with a couple of
            >whole eggs.
            >Lucia
            >
            >At 10:07 PM 12/12/2006, you wrote:
            >
            > >Okay, where is the recipe you all are using for SAVILLVM located?
            > >Which book?
            > >
            > >Correus

          • Kevin McDermott
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
              SALVETE·OMNES
              --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Lucia Clark <luciaclark@...> wrote:
              >> I stick with the original from Cato, with a few modifications here
              > and there. For example, I had some egg whites left over from making
              > mayonnaise, so I added them to the savillum together with a couple of
              > whole eggs.
              As someone who's been lucky enough to sample Lucia's [varying] SAVILLA
              four times now....the trend, intentional or not, has been lighter and lighter. The
              first was low and somewhat cookie-ish; this was extremely light, and very
              similar to a modern cheesecake. They've all been delicious.
              COIVINIX
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
                Okay, that's what I needed. I have it on-line.

                Thanks,

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
                  In a message dated 12/13/06 8:25:31 AM, correus@... writes:

                  > Which book? I might have to look for it on-line or at the university
                  > library.
                  >
                  > I could find no reference to SAVILLVM in any of my Roman cookbooks.

                  Correus: are you asking for the text itself, or a redaction?

                  JDM

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
                    If you could supply both it might be beneficial to others on the list besides me.

                    Thanks!

                    Correus

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
                      Oh my, thank you!
                      I wonder what you would say after tasting 4
                      spaghetti with ragu or zuppa di pesce or roasted
                      capon....well, there is but one way to find
                      out....Say, what about that idea of a convention
                      Apiciana? How many of us are in the US? or have
                      frequent flyer miles? Or like to travel?
                      Lucia

                      At 10:46 AM 12/13/2006, you wrote:

                      >SALVETE·OMNES
                      >--- In
                      ><mailto:Apicius%40yahoogroups.com>Apicius@yahoogroups.com,
                      >Lucia Clark <luciaclark@...> wrote:
                      > >> I stick with the original from Cato, with a few modifications here
                      > > and there. For example, I had some egg whites left over from making
                      > > mayonnaise, so I added them to the savillum together with a couple of
                      > > whole eggs.
                      >As someone who's been lucky enough to sample Lucia's [varying] SAVILLA
                      >four times now....the trend, intentional or not,
                      >has been lighter and lighter. The
                      >first was low and somewhat cookie-ish; this was extremely light, and very
                      >similar to a modern cheesecake. They've all been delicious.
                      >COIVINIX

                    • Linda Wills
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
                        Correus, Here is a copy of the copy that I have.
                        linda

                        Savillum [Roman Cheesecake]
                        Category: Desserts

                        1 15-oz. container whole milk ricotta
                        2 8-oz. packages cream cheese, softened
                        cups unbleached flour
                        cups whole wheat flour
                        3 eggs
                        cups honey
                        TOPPING:
                        cups honey
                        3tablespoons poppy seeds

                        Instructions:
                        Preparation Steps
                        Sift flours together. Blend cheeses and mix well until no large lumps remain. Add flour, eggs, and honey and beat until smooth. Pour into a lightly greased 13" x 9" baking pan. Bake at 350?F for 30-35 minutes, or until the center sets up and the top is lightly browned.

                        In a small saucepan, heat topping ingredients over low heat to thin the honey out. Drizzle the topping over cooked cheesecake and return it to the oven for 3-5 minutes. Be very careful when removing the pan from the oven, as the honey becomes very thin and liquid, and can easily run off the top. Cut into 1 1/2" squares. Serve warm.
                        Yield
                        60 1-inch squares.
                        Redaction Notes
                        This recipe can also be made in two 8" pie pans. While best if served warm, it can successfully be frozen.
                        References
                        * Giacosa, Ilaria Gozzini (Herklotz, Anna, translator). A Taste of Ancient Rome. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago and London, 1992. ISBN 0-226-29032-8.
                        ---
                        Taken from http://home.earthlink.net/~smcclune/stewpot/recipe_savillum.html