Re: lentils

  • Marco Berni
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19 12:45 AM
      Sally,

      Been away in Sardinia hence the lateness of this reply.

      I can't really help with the historical verification stuff but as to what constitutes lentils today
      in Italy, they are always used whole never split.

      The orange split lentils that are used to make soup in the uk do not exist here, ours are always
      whole and in their green/brown/grey/black skins.

      The basic lentil is usually green skinned and about 5 mm in diameter and this is available all over
      Italy. The latium speciality lentil from Norcia (just inside Umbria these days) is a tiny slightly
      fatter lentil of about 3 mm in diameter which is highly prized and knocks the other types into a
      coked hat for flavour and texture. This lentil is very similar to the 'puy' lentil of the town by
      the same name in France, though not black in colour rather a brownish colour instead.

      Either of these varieties would make an excellent dish.

      Vale!

      Marco