Re: [Apicius] Villa Poppea

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2006
      Me and my big mouth

      At 02:22 PM 11/30/2006, you wrote:

      >Well...I could tell you what I tell everyone who comes to our house
      >(we are restoring a 100+ year old home).
      >
      >"You find the problem - you fix it!"
      >
      >LOL LOL LOL I guess you get to tell her!
      >
      >Correus
      >
      >Lucia Clark
      ><<mailto:luciaclark%40luciadentice.com>luciaclark@...> wrote:
      >OK, if you look at the picture of one of the frescoes in the Villa
      >Poppea,, it seems to me that the plant is clearly an oleander. Who is
      >going to write to Ferrar and tell her to amend the book?
      >Lucia
      >
      ><http://pompeya.desdeinter.net/DSCN3240Viridarium-1.htm>http://pompeya.desdeinter.net/DSCN3240Viridarium-1.htm
      >
      >At 12:54 PM 11/30/2006, you wrote:
      >
      > >Thanks, that's the site I got my pics from.
      > >
      > >Lucia Clark
      > ><<mailto:luciaclark%40luciadentice.com><mailto:luciaclark%40luciade
      > ntice.com>luciaclark@...> wrote:
      > >Here it is
      > >
      > ><<http://www.servius.org/Oplontis/>http://www.servius.org/Oplontis/
      > >http://www.servius.org/Oplontis/
      > >
      > >At 11:06 AM 11/30/2006, you wrote:
      > >
      > > >I forgot to ask....
      > > >
      > > >Could you shoot me a link to the site you found?
      > > >
      > > >Thanks!
      > > >
      > > >Lucia Clark
      > > ><<mailto:luciaclark%40luciadentice.com><mailto:luciaclark%40luciade
      > >
      > ntice.com><mailto:luciaclark%40luciadentice.com>luciaclark@...>
      > wrote:
      > > >Hi
      > > >I went online and I found a good site with 2 pictures of the garden.
      > > >The plants are Oleander, ornamental shrubs very widespread in
      > > >central and Southern Italy. The plant oozes an oily substance when a
      > > >flower or a leaf is plucked. It is toxic, so why the public gardens
      > > >are full of them escapes me. I doubt the original garden had them,
      > > >since Farrar's Ancient Roman Gardens does not mention them. Now,
      > > >let's look at all the Roman frescoes and see if we can recognize the
      > > >shrub. The leaves are rather bigger that olive leaves.
      > > >Hope this helps brother
      > > >Lucia

    • DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 8, 2006
        they're ALL OVER California...

        Lucia Clark wrote:

        > Hi
        > I went online and I found a good site with 2 pictures of the garden.
        > The plants are Oleander, ornamental shrubs very widespread in
        > central and Southern Italy. The plant oozes an oily substance when a
        > flower or a leaf is plucked. It is toxic, so why the public gardens
        > are full of them escapes me. I doubt the original garden had them,
        > since Farrar's Ancient Roman Gardens does not mention them. Now,
        > let's look at all the Roman frescoes and see if we can recognize the
        > shrub. The leaves are rather bigger that olive leaves.
        > Hope this helps brother
        > Lucia
        >
        > At 01:36 PM 11/29/2006, you wrote:
        >
        > >Ave!
        > >
        > >Well...I'm stuck! I have been trying to find out some information in
        > >regard to some flowering trees planted at the Villa Poppea in Oplontis.
        > >
        > >The trees are kind of small and look like crab-apple trees in shape
        > >and the vivid hot-pink (to almost red) color of of the blooms.
        > >However, the leaves look like an olive leaf.
        > >
        > >I do have some pics - not very good one - I can send if interested.
        > >
        > >I have been trying to find pics on-line of olive trees in bloom, but
        > >so far non of them look as bright and vivid as these.
        > >
        > >Do any of you know what type of trees they could be? They are lining
        > >what looks to be the large garden.
        > >
        > >Thanks
        > >Correus

        DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
        a.k.a.: Marsh Wise

        LEGIO IX HISPANA COH III Penna Chapter

        Websitarius:
        -reenactor.Net: http://www.reenactor.net/
        -Legio IX Hispana -- Penna: website-a-comin'

        Netscape Aim/AOL screen name: Sturmkatze

        Yahoo Messenger screen name: sturmkatze

        Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt.