Re: Camp cooking

  • ChannonM@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 6, 1999
      In a message dated 9/6/99 11:54:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time, LrdRas@...
      writes:

      << Which references? The one on Apicus or the one on the Arabic cookery book?

      I am specifically dealing with Roman influences, however the Arabic cookery
      book would be of great interest as well. Is it possibly the one that Cariadoc
      of the Bow has used extensively in his Arabic recipe redactions? I know I
      have seen the work but can't recall it's title.

      I can recall in some of my early reading on quirky medieval goings on that
      Roman orgy's were re-created by nobility in extensive manners, but of course
      that was several years ago and I'll never remember the source until I run
      across it again. What I would like to do is promote Roman cooking in
      patronage to a dear friend who maintained a Roman persona, and as such I
      would like to demonstrate the importance of Roman cooking on later medieval
      food culture whether it be French, English, Italian or otherwise.

      I appreciate your help with the references.

      Channon
    • JSA
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 6, 1999
        --- LrdRas@... wrote:
        > From: LrdRas@...

        > Daylight Time,
        > varromurena@... writes:
        >
        > << I'm not talking feasts
        > here, just normal daily meals.
        >
        > L. Licinius Varro Murena >>
        >
        > OK. Understood. Unfortunately we little or no
        > documentation of what peasants
        > ate during most periods of history before the
        > 1800's CE. :-(

        Sure we do. We know what crops and foodstuffs and
        spices were available to them. Some of this is found
        in archaeological digs, others in court records, or
        literary references. We know a great deal about how
        peasants lived before 1800 AD.

        L. Licinius Varro Murena
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 6, 1999
          In a message dated 9/6/99 12:45:09 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
          hrjones@... writes:

          << If you cover absolutely everyting before AD 500, and have a particular
          interest in the Near East, you might want to track down a couple of books
          I've played with on occasion:

          this is great, do you mind if I post it on our antiquitus list as well?

          Sarah
          http://members.aol.com/agamedes
        • LrdRas@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 6, 1999
            varromurena@... writes:

            << We know a great deal about how
            peasants lived before 1800 AD. >>

            No disagreement here. I agree that we know a great deal about how they lived.
            We know what was grown, etc., but we know little or nothing about what they
            ate. That is we have little or no knowledge of how they prepared their food,
            e.g., no recipes. The extant body of actual recipes that have survived were
            written for the wealthy and the nobility. It does not reflect the style of
            food that the common Joe ate.

            If you have recipes attributable to peasants before 1800 CE then I would be
            happy to see them as I have none in my collection. Recipes before 1450 CE
            would be especially welcome.

            Ras
          • hrjones@xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxxx
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 6, 1999
              On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 CeltSarah@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 9/6/99 12:45:09 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
              > hrjones@... writes:
              >
              > << If you cover absolutely everyting before AD 500, and have a particular
              > interest in the Near East, you might want to track down a couple of books
              > I've played with on occasion:
              > >>

              > this is great, do you mind if I post it on our antiquitus list as well?

              Go ahead -- I neglected to mention that the first two (the Hittite and
              Mesopotamian books) are in the UC Berkeley library, so those with ILL
              access may be able to get them that way, if not another.

              Heather Rose Jones hrjones@...
            • terelleterry@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 6, 1999
                discovery magazine did a fine article on the intimate relationship
                between bread and beer. their attempts at reproducing ancient recepies
                was instructive. or was it scientific american?

                according to my information iron cooing vessels and beans were not used
                in northern europe until late 12th century at which time the iron
                deficiencies of the women were eliminated, leading to a surplus of
                women for the first time.

                food and culture are intimately associated.
                also, if you can't grow it trade for it or steal it, you can't eat it.

                have you used spelt and kamut? i have combined them alone and with many
                other flours.

                i suspect the romans would try just about
                anything once. surely in their travels they
                ate local food in their far flung empire.

                the word lox appears to antedate sanskrit, coming from the original
                indoeuropean root language.
              • JSA
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 6, 1999
                  --- terelle terry <terelleterry@...> wrote:
                  > From: terelleterry@... (terelle terry)
                  >
                  > according to my information iron cooking vessels and
                  > beans were not used
                  > in northern europe until late 12th century at which
                  > time the iron
                  > deficiencies of the women were eliminated, leading
                  > to a surplus of
                  > women for the first time.

                  You may wish to check out: Norman J. G. Pounds,
                  _Hearth & Home: A History of Material Culture_ (Indian
                  UP, 1989), especially pp. 205-210 on cookery and
                  cooking.

                  Also, try the Online Reference Book for Medieval
                  Studies (ORB) which has a number of interesting
                  articles and sources for the entire medieval period:
                  http://orb.rhodes.edu/

                  L. Licinius Varro Murena