Re: *** Spam *** Re: [Apicius] Summer Beer!!!!! And Fenugreek

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 6, 2006
      While we are being finicky, I guess my proper name should be Lucia
      Dentex Amanuensa. But Lucia will do. :-)
      Fair enough, but is this meant to be the feminine of Amanuensis? Because that word, being third declension, would be expected to keep the same form in the feminine.

      Hmm... the L&S lists the word now usually spelled dentex in scienfic Latin under dentix (mentioning an alternate form dentrix in Isidore). But I wonder if it's ever attested in the nominative singular in classical Latin, because dentex is a more logical guess.

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 6, 2006
        You know? I had doubts all day about amanuensa. Right you are, and
        true to your name, Iustinus in the sense of Giusto, right, beside the
        other meaning of righteous. As for Dentex, I have seen it in a index
        of one of my Apicius translations, as in Dentex cum some sauce or
        another. And Dentice, as you well know, is the fish dentex. Being
        very late I will not go downstairs to the library and check the
        books. On the other hand, if you didn't edit the translation, the
        book could very well be wrong... :-D
        To the rest of the list so they will not weep in frustration: Added
        fenugreek to rice Pilaf this evening. Came out extremely good, and i
        am thinking to substitute farro for the rice, perhaps with some
        lovage instead of celery.
        As always, in good fun and tongue in cheek (Give me this one in
        Latin, will you?
        Lucia