Re: [Apicius] Re: The Karanis letter....

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2006
      There's some more info on Terentianus and his family at http://www.lib.umich.edu/pap/snapshots/Claudius/claudius.html

      (sorry for the short addendum)

      -----Original Message-----
      From: jdm314@...
      To: Apicius@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:57 PM
      Subject: Re: [Apicius] Re: The Karanis letter....

      Exerpts from pages 3-4 (* represents an ommitted footnote):

      "It is clear from internal evidence that Terentianus was a soldier, and that as a veteran he later settled at Karanis.* The letters can be dated to the first quarter of the second century on the evidence of the handwriting, and there is also an allusion in one of them to the events of A.D. 115.* They obviously cover a period of years. The hand varies because Terentianus made use of professional scribes,* but there is sufficient linguistic unity (see below, ch. VI) to show that the scribes did not make substantial changes in what was dictated to them.

      "Terentianus was a bilingual. He writes five times to his father in Latin and five times in Greek.* ... But in Terentianus' Latin there are some sines of Greek interference, notably in word order.... Such interference is typical of the speech of bilinguals. Since we find no Latin interference in his Greek, it would seem that Greek was his usual language. But it would be misleading to imply that he was not completely fluent in Latin ....

      "It is curious that Terentianus writes to the same person, a member of his own family, in both Greek and Latin. Language switching within the family is typical of communities in which intermarriage commonly takes place between speakers of two different languages.* The offspring of such union learn the two languages at the same time from their parents. The functions of the languages may come to overlap, though usually among bilinguals each language has a clarly deliniated role. The Tiberianus archive seems to be the product of a special environment of this type ...."

      OK, but I wish he would say what we know about Terentianus' father!

      JDM