Cheese in Britannia

  • Hilary Cool
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2006
      I only get the digest so I've slightly lost track of who was enquiring about cheese & 2nd century soldiers in Britannia. If whoever it was contacts me off list, I could send them the draft of cheese section of my book on eating in Roman Britain. The short answer is we don't know the answer, but the cattle herds were certainly not managed as dairy animals. Its just possible that goats cheese was preferred - they are certainly around but are not being eaten to any extent as adults, though they are as kids so that suggests dairying as a possibility.

      Hilary Cool