Cheese in the Roman Empire....a second try....

  • Kevin McDermott
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 1:05 PM
      SALVETE
      Sorry; my first effort at responding seems to have been...less than successful.

      It's always good to be careful when launching into "creative" history...but
      (regarding the opinions that cheesemaking may not have been an industry in
      2nd century Judea) there is at least one bit of internal evidence speaking to
      the other side: According to Josephus, the area immediately below the
      Temple Mount (and running between the Temple and the Palaestra/Agrippa's
      Palace) was known as "the valley of the Cheesemakers."

      Off-topic, but nonetheless: I've always suspected that the sly dogs who wrote
      LIFE OF BRIAN knew this (as they seem to have known so much about this
      particular time and place...); if you remember the depiction of the Sermon on
      the Mount, one of the hearers at the back of the crowd hears Christ's "blessed
      are the peacemakers" as "blessed are the cheesemakers" and a budding
      theologian immediately gets into the act with "Oh, I don't think he means
      ONLY cheesemakers, but rather ALL dairy workers...."

      COIVINIX·DERVMODVGINIS·F