Re: Allan-Hunni

  • szkitaszarvas
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2006
      Thanks Demetrius, I'm fine... :-)

      Surely King Arthur was not a Sarmatian, while in fact, I feel that
      the impact of the nomads on the West is usually underestimated.
      Basically there were only two areas through which the outer effects
      reached Europe (in the narrower sense) - through Asia Minor-Greece
      and the Pontic steppe.
      As most of the cultivated plants and domesticated animals in Europe
      came from elsewhere, these two paths played a key role in the
      history of the culinary art of Europe.
      For example the methods of preserving meat was vital for the nomads,
      thus sausages, smoked hams, etc. probably came from that way. So, I
      feel, ham and eggs are more Sarmatian than British ;-) (As hen was
      also brought in from Asia)
      Best,

      Gabor

      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Willinski <lordjim92704@...>
      wrote:

      > Hodyavod Gabor,
      >
      > Good to have you. Please keep me informed of your book. I am
      very interested in the Sarmatians, even if King Arthur was not one.

      > FORKS,
      >
      > Here in Thailand, forks were introduced by the French in the
      17th Century and replaced chopstix. Chopsticks are only used here
      for noodle dishes. Get this, Thais use a spoon and fork (never
      knives) in a very interesting way. Food is scooped into the spoon
      with the fork. I have always wondered if this was the original way
      the French used them.

      > Cheers
      >
      > Demetrius
      > Legio VI
      >
      > Bihari Gábor <gabihari@...> wrote:
      > Dear Allan and all,
      >
      > My name is Gabor, I am from Hungary. I have joined the list a few
      > month ago. (I was happy to see, that Sally Grainger is also here -
      > have a small publishing company and we are just translating one of
      > her books)
      >
      > I have also seen in the TV in a Kylie Kwong series, that several
      > Chinese restaurants use the same sauce for years for cooking meat.
      > It is boiled every day, so it do not cause any digestive problem.
      The
      > several years old sauce is a very precious thing there.
      > (While I would never taste a year old egg...)
      >
      > Also if you do not mind, I mention, that I'm planning to write a
      book on
      > the cuisine of the ancient nomadic peoples, just as Scythians,
      > Sarmatians, Huns (Allanhunni...:-). Of course, it is a bit
      difficult, since
      > the classical sources scarcely mentions anything about their
      culinary
      > art, though I think we can reconstruct quite a lot of things.
      > If anyone interested in the question, well, I'm looking for a co-
      author
      > for the book, who knows much better the classical sources than me.
      > (I'm better in the archaeology and life-style of these peoples.)
      > Best,
      >
      > Gabor
      >
      > Apicius@yahoogroups.com írta:
      >
      > 1.
      > Forks
      > Posted by: "Allan Hunnicutt" allanhunni@... allanhunni
      > Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:11 am (PST)
      > All this mention about ancient Middle Eastern dining makes what
      little
      > there is of it still extent in the way of recipes all the more
      intriguing. I
      > suspect that pomegranate juice must have been in use in ancient
      > times in the region just as it is today. I don't suppose that part
      of it
      > must have had anything at all to do with Roman cookery, though as
      > haven't come across any of the stuff in Apician recipes or
      mentioned in
      > Cato. Then again I haven't had the time to go through every single
      > recipe.
      >
      > I have read that the Mesopotamians had cumin and mint in their
      > gardens and both of these are seen in some Apician recipes and
      even
      > in mustacae. I don't image that rosemary or tarragon would have
      > been raised in the Middle East though. At least I haven't ever
      heard of
      > its use there nor seen it in any cookbook. Have any of you? If
      > someday I am able to get it, I would be very interested in seeing
      > Bottaro's translations of recipes of cuneiform tablets. I think I
      have
      > seen a few of them in various commentaries.
      >
      > I like my lamb kabobs and so I suppose lamb would have been
      > important even in ancient times, although I suppose that they were
      > basically sacrificial animals.
      >
      > As far as the use of forks is concerned, I have read (I forget
      where)
      > that they were used in 16th century France and by the 17th century
      > were not uncommon at dining tables throughout Europe. However, as
      > late as the 19th century they were eschewed by sailors in the
      British
      > navy as being too dainty for a stalwart mariner. The first use of
      forks
      > at the dinner table, from what I have read, was in 10th century
      > Constantinople.
      >

      > Best regards,
      >
      > Allan Hunnicutt

      > Back to top
      > Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post
      > Messages in this topic (2)
      > 2.
      > Beijing Cooking
      > Posted by: "Allan Hunnicutt" allanhunni@... allanhunni
      > Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:49 am (PST)
      > I had an interesting converstion with a couple of friends from
      Beijing

      _