Re: Every Day Use of Roman Recipes

  • Aurelia Coritana
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 2, 2006
      Salve!

      Well, I'll just say "not nearly as much as I'd like." I admire your
      integration thus far, and I'd like to follow your example. Most of
      the time, though, I just take the easy way out and make some sort of
      BBQ chicken. ;-)

      Aurelia

      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Correus <correus@...> wrote:

      > Ave!
      >
      > I think I have asked this question once before, but thought I
      would throw it out there again.

      > How often do you incorporate a Roman recipe into your daily
      meals?

      > I usually work about 2 or 3 recipes into the evening meal. I
      also have a 'typical' Roman breakfast 90% of the time. I also have
      a full Roman meal AT LEAST once a month for the evening meal.

      > Also, how often do you invent new Roman dishes using the
      knowledge you have gained from studying Roman food/cooking and this
      group list?

      > For example, I made a quick lunch the other day out of fried
      sausages and apples using only 'Roman' herbs, spices and olive oil.

      > One last note. For those Americans on the list - have a happy
      4th of July. For the rest of you - may Apicius be with you this
      week-end.

      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 15, 2007
        Ave Caius Fabius,

        I believe you are spot on in regard to the "novelty" aspect. Your other statement, "I
        suspect that the forks I have photographed in various museums were either for off table use in the kitchen or for special use, such as eating snails", is probably more accurate.

        Did you see my other post about olives? When I saw the pic of that fork one of the first things that cam to mind was olives. I have a devil of a time spearing an olive with skewer, but have no problem with a fork.

        That would go hand-in-hand with what your statement hit on - kitchen or special use.

        BTW - what I meant by 'more forks' is just that I've been noticing them more often in displays and pic. Perhaps it's just that I keep looking for them. <G>

        Correus

        caiusfabius <SPQR_HQ@...> wrote:
        --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Correus <correus@...> wrote:

        > SALVETE OMNES!
        >
        > Well, just to get a topic started.....
        >
        > Some very good friends of mine purchased a reproduction Roman
        spoon for me. it is just over 12 CM in length.

        > While doing some research on Roman spoons today (it seemed awful
        small even though it was made from the cast of an original found in
        the UK) I ran across an interesting site.

        > http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/romans/food/dishes.htm
        >
        > Take a look at the second picture (I have also added it to an
        album titled "Forks").

        > What do you all think? Yes - I know it has been discussed in the
        past, but it seems like more forks are popping up in museums!

        > VALETE
        > CORREVS·APPIVS·IVLIANVS·APICIVS
        >
        > The truth may be boring, and even unpleasant: But it is always
        better than half truths and out right lies ~ Tw Moran

        I am not sure what is meant by 'more forks'. Sure you find about 1
        'Roman' fork for every 300+ 'Roman'spoons in museums and collections
        and such, (I have been qouted higher numbers of spoons, this was the
        lowest ratio I have been quoted) but is that significant? We saw the
        'Roman fork' in the Gallo-Roman Museum at St Germain, France, but did
        it represent many forks or is it a novelty, which is more interesting
        for a museum to display?
        The folks on the Roman Army Tour talked about it for several hours,
        and tried to understand the significance, then we went to dinner, and
        had snails... and the same type of fork... to eat the snails. I
        suspect that the forks I have photographed in various museums were
        either for off table use in the kitchen or for special use, such as
        eating snails.

        Caius