Re: [Apicius] Hello everyone

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2006
      In a message dated 6/9/06 12:08:28 PM, correus@... writes:

      > Also remember, the Romans were notorious for bad spelling and grammar.
      > Besides, this group is suppose to be fun...not a class room.

      Indeed. Otherwise I would have your head for saying that. But this list isn't
      really intended for this kind of debate, so I will keep it short and sweet:

      One doesn't join a group devoted to Italian cooking and say things like
      "Banjorna tutto!" If you're going to bother to use the language at all, why not get
      it right?

      And while Roman graffiti, and nonliterary letters certainly contain their
      share of "mistakes" they are a completely different amphora of garum from the
      sort of mistakes that English speakers make. One may as well compare typos and
      grammatical errors that I make on the Apicius list to http://engrish.com/.

      Look, we're just talking two words here, not a complete verb paradigm. It's
      scarcely harder to learn than moretum, garum, liquamen, mortarium, or any of
      the other dozens of culinary words we regularly use correctly here. And if you
      can't learn it, well there really isn't any need to greet the list in Latin to
      begin with, so why bother?

      I don't want to ruin anyone's fun, but it seems to me that being careless
      with ancient languages is no more fun than being careless with ancient culinary
      practices. Sure, no one speaks Latin anymore, but no one cooks Apicius anymore,
      so why not just replace "oil" with butter, and "pepper" with nutmeg? It's not
      like there are any ancient chefs around to care.

      JDM

    • N Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2006
        Thanks for the clarification!