Re: Mrs. Grieve

  • ERDan1@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 1999
      In a message dated 2/1/99 1:34:46 PM Central Standard Time, petworth@...
      writes:

      << Anyone tinkering with curious herbs would be well advised to keep a copy of
      Mrs. Grieve (the great 19c pharmaceutical encyclopaedist) at hand. Se's on
      the Net somewhere, also in Dovers. If anyone is interested, I have the refs
      since I have the book (2-vol.) >>

      I think that I found her page here:

      <A HREF="http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/mgmh.html">A Modern Herbal
      Home Pagehttp://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/mgmh.html</A>

      Ellen
    • Gaylin Walli
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 1999
        At 2:56 PM -0500 2/1/99, ERDan1@... wrote:

        > <A HREF="http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/mgmh.html">A Modern Herbal
        >Home Pagehttp://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/mgmh.html</A>

        That would be the correct link. If you're looking for safety
        information, however, or even up-to-date information, this
        site is NOT the right one. Maude Grieve's herbal is not only
        OOP for ancient herbal research, it is out of date for the 20th
        century. A great treasure trove of information, to be sure, but
        VERY out of date.

        I know of NO ancient herbal primary information sites online at this
        time. But as far as secondary sites go, I'd certainly take a look
        at M. Grieve. I'd also suggest looking at John Gerard's "The Herbal".
        The edition is not online but it does cover a lot of information on how
        "the ancients" looked at the herbs you might find in early roman cooking.
        As secondary sources go, this would be an excellent choice for research.

        Now, I have a list, that I'm going to send under separate cover,
        that I've been collecting. It's a list of writings that are primary
        sources to look for with regards to plant material. Although not
        necessarily related directly to cooking, it may be of use to people
        who want a better look at how closely tied nutrition, plants, and
        cooking were. I hope this helps people.

        Jasmine, jasmine@...