Re: [Apicius] Lovage, lovage, who's got the lovage?

  • Cheri
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28, 2006
      If you hate celery, you'll hate loveage. It's a MUCH stronger celery taste. If you do grow it, it does well with seeds. Be aware, it grows over 8 feet tall in a clump and it will come back year after year. Choose your site well, it will be there, in it's tall magnificents a long time!
      Anne

      Aurelia Rufinia <aureliarufinia@...> wrote:

      Lets talk lovage. I made the mushrooms stems (Apcius
      3-something) this weekend, and while it was tasty, I
      did not have any lovage. Giacosa and Faas both seem
      to imply that celery tops are a reasonable substitute
      for lovage, but I hate buying a whole package of
      celery just to use some of the tops (I hate celery and
      don't eat it, given a choice). So I used parsely as
      my stunt stand in for the celery that would have
      substitutued for lovage.

      Which just seems a tiny bit silly.

      Haven't been able to find lovage- cooking gurus in the
      area say the best way to get lovage is to order seeds
      and grow it yourself (whihc is not so much an option
      for me right now).

      So what do you suggest?

      Aurelia

      Baroness Aurelia Rufinia
      Barony of Carolingia,
      East Kingdom, Northshield Ex-Pat

      "I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically..."

      ---------------------------------

      Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
      those you know hereafter."

    • Chris Stewart
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2006
        Here in Georgia (US), I haven't been able to find it at any farmer's
        market or nursery. But believe it or not, I did find it on Ebay. See
        item #7762928898 Probably order some next week for my wife's Roman
        herb garden that she's trying to start.

        So far we have just a few common herbs...rosemary,thyme,mint,a couple
        of varieties of basil, lavender, sage, ..some others that I can't
        think of right now.

        Chris S.
        Legio XI CPF
        Atlanta GA

        --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Aurelia Rufinia <aureliarufinia@...>
        wrote:

        > Lets talk lovage. I made the mushrooms stems (Apcius
        > 3-something) this weekend, and while it was tasty, I
        > did not have any lovage. Giacosa and Faas both seem
        > to imply that celery tops are a reasonable substitute
        > for lovage, but I hate buying a whole package of
        > celery just to use some of the tops (I hate celery and
        > don't eat it, given a choice). So I used parsely as
        > my stunt stand in for the celery that would have
        > substitutued for lovage.
        >
        > Which just seems a tiny bit silly.
        >
        > Haven't been able to find lovage- cooking gurus in the
        > area say the best way to get lovage is to order seeds
        > and grow it yourself (whihc is not so much an option
        > for me right now).
        >
        > So what do you suggest?
        >
        > Aurelia
        >
        > Baroness Aurelia Rufinia
        > Barony of Carolingia,
        > East Kingdom, Northshield Ex-Pat
        >

        > "I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually,
        ecumenically, grammatically..."

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Sheila Michaels
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2006
          As with all seeds, those bought on e-bay are a little chancy.
          I bought ao-shiso on e-bay last year. The red (bronze) shiso I have
          had for years is self-sowing & cannot be stopped (but it is
          beautiful). Only a few of the green shiso came up & they never
          really matured well. The taste of green shiso is stronger & is most
          often used in Japanese foods, while the red is a bit bland. I think
          it is the seeds, not the growing conditions. & being in the mint
          family, it should be easy to grow.
          At 09:30 PM 5/1/2006, you wrote:
          >Here in Georgia (US), I haven't been able to find it at any farmer's
          >market or nursery. But believe it or not, I did find it on Ebay. See
          >item #7762928898 Probably order some next week for my wife's Roman
          >herb garden that she's trying to start.
          >
          >So far we have just a few common herbs...rosemary,thyme,mint,a couple
          >of varieties of basil, lavender, sage, ..some others that I can't
          >think of right now.
          >
          >Chris S.
          >Legio XI CPF
          >Atlanta GA
          >

          >--- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Aurelia Rufinia <aureliarufinia@...>
          >wrote:
          > >

          > > Lets talk lovage. I made the mushrooms stems (Apcius
          > > 3-something) this weekend, and while it was tasty, I
          > > did not have any lovage. Giacosa and Faas both seem
          > > to imply that celery tops are a reasonable substitute
          > > for lovage, but I hate buying a whole package of
          > > celery just to use some of the tops (I hate celery and
          > > don't eat it, given a choice). So I used parsely as
          > > my stunt stand in for the celery that would have
          > > substitutued for lovage.
          > >
          > > Which just seems a tiny bit silly.
          > >
          > > Haven't been able to find lovage- cooking gurus in the
          > > area say the best way to get lovage is to order seeds
          > > and grow it yourself (whihc is not so much an option
          > > for me right now).
          > >
          > > So what do you suggest?
          > >
          > > Aurelia
          > >
          > > Baroness Aurelia Rufinia
          > > Barony of Carolingia,
          > > East Kingdom, Northshield Ex-Pat
          > >

          > > "I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually,
          >ecumenically, grammatically..."

          > > http://mail.yahoo.com
          > >

          >Post message: Apicius@yahoogroups.com
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Aurelia Coritana
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2006
            Ebay, eh? That's odd, but true!

            I found some sellers on there that are licensed nurseries with great satisfaction ratings, but a lot of them look like individuals too.

            Aurelia

            wrote:

            > Lets talk lovage. I made the mushrooms stems (Apcius
            > 3-something) this weekend, and while it was tasty, I
            > did not have any lovage. Giacosa and Faas both seem
            > to imply that celery tops are a reasonable substitute
            > for lovage, but I hate buying a whole package of
            > celery just to use some of the tops (I hate celery and
            > don't eat it, given a choice). So I used parsely as
            > my stunt stand in for the celery that would have
            > substitutued for lovage.
            >
            > Which just seems a tiny bit silly.
            >
            > Haven't been able to find lovage- cooking gurus in the
            > area say the best way to get lovage is to order seeds
            > and grow it yourself (whihc is not so much an option
            > for me right now).
            >
            > So what do you suggest?
            >
            > Aurelia
            >
            > Baroness Aurelia Rufinia
            > Barony of Carolingia,
            > East Kingdom, Northshield Ex-Pat
            >

            > "I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually,
            ecumenically, grammatically..."

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            Ancient history A brief history of time Ancient roman

            ---------------------------------

          • Venetian Cat Studio
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2006
              Greetings all,
              I've been following the discussion on lovage, and as an herbalist, I just HAD to jump in. : )
              I've been growing lovage for 7 years now. I live in cccoldddd northern NH, and my soil is really lousy (sandy and acidic), and it grows easily. It is very resistant to disease. I find that cutting it a lot during the growing time ensures that you'll always have nice tender new leaves. I compost it in the fall, (I use a side dressing of organic compost) and is one of the first plants to shoot up in the spring.
              There is a FANTASTIC seed company in Oregon which sells top quality organic seeds, and the seeds are guaranteed.
              The company is called Horizon Herbs http://www.horizonherbs.com/. They specialize in medicinal and rare herbs, and I have found everything there. I grew my lovage from their seeds, and I highly recommend them.
              As far as taste, it DOES taste like a strong celery. Parsley is nothing like it I'm afraid. It's great for flavoring soups and as a complimentary green in a tossed salad with olive oil and lemon juice.

              THE VENETIAN CAT STUDIO
              Fine Ancient Reproduction Pottery and Oil Portraits
              http://venetiancat.com

              "As you change your thoughts, so you change your world."
              Julia Passamonti
              Legio III Cyrenaica
              Maker of Amphorae

            • Cheri or Anne
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                I can vouch for Horizon Herbs too. I've never had a problem with anything I've ordered from them.

                Tho my lovage is going strong here in Washington (state) I really don't do anything special with it. Mine does just fine without much attention payed to it. Last year I did transplant some to a VERY shady part of the flower bed in the front of the house and it even grows there! Right now it's about a foot high already and we had our temps in the mid 20's last night.

                Good luck with the plantings.
                Anne