Syria

  • Allan Hunnicutt
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2006
      Have just met a few Syrians in Guangzhou and was reminded that Syria was a Roman province. I am just wondering what might have been there culinarily worth mentioning to my new Syrian friends.

      Valete,

      Allan

    • Weingarten
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 26, 2006
        A bit of a political minefield here! Syria-Palaestina included Antioch,
        which is now in Turkey (rather a sore point, I would say) and Palaestina ,
        now Israel, Palestinian Authority and Jordan... Perhaps you would be safest
        with Damascus plums, although Athenaeus does mention Syrian bread.
        best
        Susan Weingarten

        > Have just met a few Syrians in Guangzhou and was reminded that Syria was a
        > Roman province. I am just wondering what might have been there culinarily
        > worth mentioning to my new Syrian friends.
        >
        > Valete,
        >
        > Allan

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        > This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System
        > at the Tel-Aviv University CC.
      • Andrew Dalby
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 27, 2006
          --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Allan Hunnicutt <allanhunni@...> wrote:

          > Have just met a few Syrians in Guangzhou and was reminded that Syria
          was a Roman province. I am just wondering what might have been there
          culinarily worth mentioning to my new Syrian friends.

          > Valete,
          >
          > Allan

          You might add dates, Allan, the kind that the Romans called Caryotae
          (the other good kind, as Sally confirms in a nearby message, were
          Thebanae or Thebaicae from Egypt). And you might drop in a mention of
          storax (an aromatic but not really a culinary spice), which the early
          Chinese actually imported from Roman or early Byzantine Syria. They
          must have wanted it very badly.

          Andrew