Re: Translation help needed

  • Andrew Dalby
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2006
      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, ivana ozanic <ivanao2@...> wrote:

      > In translation that I usually use (translator Svetlana
      > Slapsak, 1989) Thebaiacam dabis are interpreted as one
      > Theban date. I do not have an opinion about it since I
      > did not work on this problem before.
      > Ivana

      Slapsak agrees with Flower & Rosenbaum, then. That idea of 'one Theban
      date' actually derives from a conjecture by Vollmer, who (according to
      Milham's footnotes) suggested altering the Latin text so that it
      really did mean '... and one Theban [date]'. Without some such
      alteration, it is a bit difficult to get this meaning out of the
      Latin. As it stands, I would say it means 'you will add one Theban
      ounce of Pontic wormwood, cleaned, which must then be chopped'. No
      date at all.

      Sally may well have a different take on this ...

      Andrew

      http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/