Re: [Apicius] Roman Rations

  • sallygrain@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 4, 2006
      Hi

      Marching rations best represented by dry bread (bucccelate) baked twice and
      dry like ships biscuit or rusk. Some grain for porridge water wher it is
      found, flask of sour wine to mix with the aeater to make posca Dry meat like
      biltong maybee cheese too

      sally

    • P. Dominus Antonius
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 4, 2006
        Dry cheeses.

        --
        >|P. Dominus Antonius|<
        Tony Dah m

        Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
        Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius

        On 3/4/06, sallygrain@... <sallygrain@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > Marching rations best represented by dry bread (bucccelate) baked twice
        > and
        > dry like ships biscuit or rusk. Some grain for porridge water wher it is
        >
        > found, flask of sour wine to mix with the aeater to make posca Dry meat
        > like
        > biltong maybee cheese too
        >
        > sally

      • ivana ozanic
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 5, 2006
          HI!
          There is also an older article written by R. W. Davies, The Roman Military Diet, Britannia 2, London, 1971.
          I found it useful (I wrote an article in this subject recently). I hope that it can help you.

          Ivana

          Bruce Willis <lordjim92704@...> wrote:
          Ave,

          I portray a legionarre stationed in Britainnia in the 2nd Century. I
          am a hardcore auhtenticity guy and want to know what authentic
          marching rations would be like.

          Thank you

          Vale,

          Quintus Demetrius Romulus

          Ancient history A brief history of time Ancient roman

          ---------------------------------

        • Bruce Willis
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 6, 2006
            Ave,

            Thank you so much for all the great input. I am an veteran re-
            enactor but a Roman FNG so I really appreciate all the info. Let me
            recap my rations as a legionnaire in Britian; canteen should have
            wine mixed with water and vinegar, rations could be dried cheese
            (asagio, hard cheddar or stilton), maybe some fresh veggies, figs.
            What could I use to represent bread?

            Thanx

            Vale,

            Quintis Demetrius Romulus--- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, ivana
            ozanic <ivanao2@...> wrote:

            > HI!
            > There is also an older article written by R. W. Davies, The
            Roman Military Diet, Britannia 2, London, 1971.
            > I found it useful (I wrote an article in this subject
            recently). I hope that it can help you.

            > Ivana
            >

            > Bruce Willis <lordjim92704@...> wrote:
            > Ave,
            >
            > I portray a legionarre stationed in Britainnia in the 2nd
            Century. I
            > am a hardcore auhtenticity guy and want to know what authentic
            > marching rations would be like.
            >
            > Thank you
            >
            > Vale,
            >
            > Quintus Demetrius Romulus

            > Ancient history A brief history of time Ancient roman

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------

          • Linda Wills
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 7, 2006
              There is a bread that is called Hardtack. Basically it is smaller and thicker than a tortilia and pricked like a cracker then baked at a low temp until dry. It will last for a long time with out spoiling and they travel well and do not break up in your food pouch.
              here is a link for you that shows a picture and gives the recipe.
              http://www.kenanderson.net/hardtack/

              Prima Coleta

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 7, 2006
                I guess we could use Nam Pla (Thai fish sauce-also used by everyone
                in Souhteast Asia) as garum. I've been to the fermenting vats in
                Thailand and have tasted it in production. Great stuff!!!!

                --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Linda Wills <lindawills2@...> wrote:

                > There is a bread that is called Hardtack. Basically it is smaller
                and thicker than a tortilia and pricked like a cracker then baked at
                a low temp until dry. It will last for a long time with out spoiling
                and they travel well and do not break up in your food pouch.
                > here is a link for you that shows a picture and gives the recipe.
                > http://www.kenanderson.net/hardtack/
                >
                > Prima Coleta
                >
                > Bruce Willis <lordjim92704@...> wrote:
                > Ave,
                >
                > Thank you so much for all the great input. I am an veteran re-
                > enactor but a Roman FNG so I really appreciate all the info. Let
                me
                > recap my rations as a legionnaire in Britian; canteen should have
                > wine mixed with water and vinegar, rations could be dried cheese
                > (asagio, hard cheddar or stilton), maybe some fresh veggies,
                figs.
                > What could I use to represent bread?
                >
                > Thanx
                >
                > Vale,
                >
                > Quintis Demetrius Romulus--- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, ivana
                > ozanic <ivanao2@> wrote:
                > >
                > > HI!
                > > There is also an older article written by R. W. Davies, The
                > Roman Military Diet, Britannia 2, London, 1971.
                > > I found it useful (I wrote an article in this subject
                > recently). I hope that it can help you.
                > >
                > > Ivana
                > >

                > > Bruce Willis <lordjim92704@> wrote:
                > > Ave,
                > >
                > > I portray a legionarre stationed in Britainnia in the 2nd
                > Century. I
                > > am a hardcore auhtenticity guy and want to know what authentic
                > > marching rations would be like.
                > >
                > > Thank you
                > >
                > > Vale,
                > >
                > > Quintus Demetrius Romulus
                > >

                > > Post message: Apicius@yahoogroups.com

                > > Ancient history A brief history of time Ancient
                roman

                > Service.
                > >

                > > ---------------------------------

                > Ancient history A brief history of time Ancient roman

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------

              • Linda Wills
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 7, 2006
                  We have a member of the local Roman group here in Austin area that uses Vietnamese fish sauce when making lentil soup. It sure is good when he makes it.
                  So I guess Thai would be just as good.
                  Prima Coleta

                • Bruno Willinski
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 7, 2006
                    Ave Linda,

                    All fish sauce is made in Thailand. The Viet stuff is all from Thailand. It is either made from squid or sardines (Sardinia?). Put a tsp. on a bowl of white rice and it will change the course of the entire meal. Great stuff.

                    Vale,

                    Demetrius

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 7, 2006
                      Actually I think almost all of the fish sauces are made from anchovies and
                      many have sugar added. The "Squid" sauce is just a brand name. It is still
                      made with anchovies. I did find one brand at a Vietnamese market in Dallas
                      that was made in the Philippines, made from mackerel and had no sugar. I
                      have read that mackerel Garum was considered the high quality stuff by the
                      Romans. The taste is not as fishy as the anchovy fish sauces but is still
                      quite tasty. I was so excited, I purchased a case of it untasted. at $1.99
                      a bottle I figured I'd take the risk.

                      At the risk of repeating myself, my favorite item is 2 corn tortillas with
                      shredded cheese and garum in the middle, nuked for about 45 seconds. Not
                      exactly period but nevertheless yummy. :-)
                      --

                      On 3/7/06, Bruno Willinski <lordjim92704@...> wrote:

                      > Ave Linda,
                      >
                      > All fish sauce is made in Thailand. The Viet stuff is all from
                      > Thailand. It is either made from squid or sardines (Sardinia?). Put a tsp.
                      > on a bowl of white rice and it will change the course of the entire meal.
                      > Great stuff.
                      >
                      > Vale,
                      >
                      > Demetrius

                    • Gwenwhyvar
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 11, 2006
                        Here is some documentation on soldier's bread:

                        Panis militaris-- Soldier's bread. It commonly came in two varieties.

                        Casternsis: camp bread

                        Mundus: marching bread

                        Both were a type of hard dry biscuit that had to be soaked before eaten. (Pliny. N.H. XVIII-68)

                        Panis nauticus-- Much like soldier's bread. Known as ship's biscuits. (Pliny. N.H. XXII-138)

                        Here is some info on another common staple, lucanicae sausages.
                        http://webzoom.freewebs.com/earlyperiod/Lucanicae.pdf

                        docendo discimus
                        Gwenhwyvar
                        www.ancientartsonline.com

                      • Bruce Willis
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 21, 2006
                          Ivana,

                          Do you have access to that article. I would love it.

                          Thanx

                          Demetrius--- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, ivana ozanic <ivanao2@...>
                          wrote:

                          > HI!
                          > There is also an older article written by R. W. Davies, The
                          Roman Military Diet, Britannia 2, London, 1971.
                          > I found it useful (I wrote an article in this subject
                          recently). I hope that it can help you.

                          > Ivana
                          >

                          > Bruce Willis <lordjim92704@...> wrote:
                          > Ave,
                          >
                          > I portray a legionarre stationed in Britainnia in the 2nd
                          Century. I
                          > am a hardcore auhtenticity guy and want to know what authentic
                          > marching rations would be like.
                          >
                          > Thank you
                          >
                          > Vale,
                          >
                          > Quintus Demetrius Romulus

                          > Ancient history A brief history of time Ancient roman

                          Service.

                          > ---------------------------------

                        • ivana ozanic
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 23, 2006
                            No problem!
                            Just tell me do you want me to scan it for you or send
                            you a photocopy.

                            wrote:

                            > HI!
                            > There is also an older article written by R. W.
                            Davies, The
                            Roman Military Diet, Britannia 2, London, 1971.
                            > I found it useful (I wrote an article in this
                            subject
                            recently). I hope that it can help you.

                            > Ivana
                            >

                            > Bruce Willis <lordjim92704@...> wrote:
                            > Ave,
                            >
                            > I portray a legionarre stationed in Britainnia in
                            the 2nd
                            Century. I
                            > am a hardcore auhtenticity guy and want to know what
                            authentic
                            > marching rations would be like.
                            >
                            > Thank you
                            >
                            > Vale,
                            >
                            > Quintus Demetrius Romulus

                            > Ancient history A brief history of time
                            Ancient roman

                            Yahoo! Terms of
                            Service.

                            > ---------------------------------

                            removed]

                            Ancient history A
                            brief history of time
                            Ancient roman

                            Terms of Service.

                            ---------------------------------

                          • Aurelia Rufinia
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 23, 2006
                              Could you possibly scan it and post it ot the files
                              section of the Yahoo Group? I would like to see it,
                              as well.

                              Aurelia

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • ivana ozanic
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 23, 2006
                                Ok!

                                I will do it in the next few days!

                                Ivana

                                ---------------------------------

                                --- ivana ozanic <ivanao2@...> wrote:

                                > No problem!
                                > Just tell me do you want me to scan it for you or
                                > send
                                > you a photocopy.
                                >

                                > Ivana
                                >
                                > --- Bruce Willis <lordjim92704@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > ---------------------------------
                                > Ivana,
                                >
                                > Do you have access to that article. I would love
                                > it.
                                >
                                > Thanx
                                >
                                > Demetrius--- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, ivana
                                > ozanic
                                > <ivanao2@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > HI!
                                > > There is also an older article written by R. W.
                                > Davies, The
                                > Roman Military Diet, Britannia 2, London, 1971.
                                > > I found it useful (I wrote an article in this
                                > subject
                                > recently). I hope that it can help you.
                                > >
                                > > Ivana
                                > >

                                > > Bruce Willis <lordjim92704@...> wrote:
                                > > Ave,
                                > >
                                > > I portray a legionarre stationed in Britainnia in
                                > the 2nd
                                > Century. I
                                > > am a hardcore auhtenticity guy and want to know
                                > what
                                > authentic
                                > > marching rations would be like.
                                > >
                                > > Thank you
                                > >
                                > > Vale,
                                > >
                                > > Quintus Demetrius Romulus
                                > >

                                > > Post message: Apicius@yahoogroups.com

                                > > Ancient history A brief history of time
                                >
                                > Ancient roman

                                > Yahoo! Terms of
                                > Service.
                                > >

                                > > ---------------------------------

                                > removed]

                                > Ancient history A
                                > brief history of time
                                >
                                > Ancient roman

                                > Yahoo!
                                > Terms of Service.

                                > Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC
                                > calling worldwide with voicemail
                                > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                                Terms of Service.