Moretum recipes

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 18, 2006
      Yet again, the moretum rears its cheasy head. Here's my question:

      On this list, in our frequent discussions of the moretum, we have brought up
      several moretum recipes, namely that of pseudo-Virgil, that of Ovid, and those
      of Columella. Are there any others?

      I gather that Sueius also wrote a poem entitled _Moretum_, but only one
      fragment survives (and that is presumably too short to give a recipe).

      There is also the myttotos, which, although the Romans translated it as
      "moretum", scholars seem to agree was a different sort of thing. But just for the
      sake of completeness, I know of a myttotos recipe in Aristophanes (though that
      is considered dubiuous due to its use as a political allegory). I know it
      shows up at least one other time in Aristophanes (possibly in The Peace). Dalby
      also lists references to it in Annanius, Hipponax, Galen, and Hippocratic
      glosses, but I haven't seen those.

      JDM

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2006
        LOL LOL LOL If this is in response to my earlier
        post, I was wanting to know about a mortarium
        (mortar). I am interested in finding a
        reproduction of one.

        Correus

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 18, 2006
          No, no. This is a totally new question.

          Oh, btw, in my list of recipes I forgot to include Apicius' moretaria.

          JDM