Re: [Apicius] New member

  • Fausta Livia Drusilla
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
      Salve Linda(ora),
      Welcome to the group! (I'm a newbie too, hi all there!!! Here's Fausta Livia
      Drusilla new citizen from Hispania).
      I think cannot help you with the recipes because my English it is not good
      enough :_). But I can help you with Apicius ;), try this link:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apicius
      Good luck!
      Vale bene
      Fausta Livia Drusilla

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
        Hi Linda!

        Apicius is the name of the most famous Roman gourmet who wrote a cookery
        book in the 1st century - an edition of the 4th century survived (you may
        have a look here: http://www.maierphil.de/Apicus - a recent Latin-German
        edition).

        There are some hints in Tacitus' Germania on what the Germans (and probabely
        the Celts) ate: "agrestia poma (beets, carots, cabbage, ...), recens fera
        (fresh game) aut lac concretum (curdled milk)" and beer ("humor ex hordeo
        aut frumento, in quandam similitudinem vini corruptus").

        Best regards

        RM

        > Hi my name is Linda (aka Lindaora). My husband and I do 1st cent living
        history as Celts and sometimes as Romans. We have been active for less than
        2 years.
        > Found your site through a friend last night.
        > Seems like lots of good info here, I have not had time to read all the
        archives...LOL

        > We have a campout this weekend. Anyone have a sugesstion for Celt foods
        for 7Celt warriors.
        > As with the previous writer, we too have a fire pit and have several pots
        and pans that we can use.

        > BTW, what does Apicius mean or stand for. My husband could not find it in
        his dictionary.

        > Thanks for any info
        > linda

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Linda Wills

          > Hi my name is Linda (aka Lindaora). My husband and I do 1st cent living
          history as Celts and sometimes as Romans. We have been active for less than
          2 years.
          > Found your site through a friend last night.
          > Seems like lots of good info here, I have not had time to read all the
          archives...LOL

          > We have a campout this weekend. Anyone have a sugesstion for Celt foods
          for 7Celt warriors.
          > As with the previous writer, we too have a fire pit and have several pots
          and pans that we can use.

          > BTW, what does Apicius mean or stand for. My husband could not find it in
          his dictionary.

          > Thanks for any info
          > linda

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Ancient history A brief history of time Ancient roman

          ---------------------------------

        • P. Dominus Antonius
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005
            Liquid bread - i.e. bear.
            And say hello to David for me.
            How is Texas?

            --
            >|P. Dominus Antonius|<
            Tony Dah m

            Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
            Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius

            On 9/29/05, Fausta Livia Drusilla <septimontivm@...> wrote:

            > Salve Linda(ora),
            > Welcome to the group! (I'm a newbie too, hi all there!!! Here's Fausta
            > Livia
            > Drusilla new citizen from Hispania).
            > I think cannot help you with the recipes because my English it is not good
            > enough :_). But I can help you with Apicius ;), try this link:
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apicius
            > Good luck!
            > Vale bene
            > Fausta Livia Drusilla

          • Linda Wills
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2005
              Well, what do you know???
              How are you?
              David says "Hi, Dude, what's shaking?"

              Things here in Tx have been almost unbearablely hot until this week. After "Rita" rolled through we had 100 + temp for 10 days straight. Cool front came in today. High of 78. Feels fantastic...
              We were in Stroud OK with The King Authur Faire as 6th C Picts this past weekend and now gearing up for Austin Celtic Festival on Nov 5 & 6. We have The Roman and the Celt camp side by side. Bet there will be some conflicts to be resolved from time to time... Ya know??
              The Celt group is TexasCoritani@yahoogroups.com I think that right. Check us out...

              Lindora

              "P. Dominus Antonius" <marsvigilia@...> wrote:
              Liquid bread - i.e. bear.
              And say hello to David for me.
              How is Texas?

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 7, 2005
                Salve Fausta Livia Drusilla
                and welcome to you too.
                thanks for the information. That was very good info...
                linda