Re: [Apicius] Mesopotamian Cooking

    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 8, 2005
      I have been trying to find the beer also for the
      past several years and found nothing. Even tried
      Anchor. Have you tried a local beer expert? I
      am going to attempt that at some point. Perhaps
      there is a Yahoo group devoted to unusal beers.

      Larry (a.k.a. Correus Appius Iulianus)

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • janegc@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 8, 2005
        I hate to resort for just trying to find the least hoppy beer. They had a class on it at the Oriental Institute (I don't live in Chicago unfortunately). Maybe they can give me a recipe. I'll give it a try and let you know what I find out.

        Jane

        --
        Nil nimium studeo, Caesar, tibi velle placere,
        nec scire utrum sis albus an ater homo.

        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 8, 2005
          Sorry - that should be "resort to" - and it's only Monday!

          Jane

          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 8, 2005
            In a message dated 8/8/05 3:46:27 PM, janegc@... writes:

            > They had a class on it at the Oriental Institute (I don't live in Chicago
            > unfortunately)

            Yup, I attended that class actually. We tried several different recipes, and
            they all came out differently. I froze a bottle of the one that I thought was
            most accurate, but I still haven't used it (sooner or later I'll make a batch
            of Tukh'u Stew with it.)

            Correus, email me privately if you want me to get you in touch with the
            person who tought that class.

            JDM

          • Mark Graef
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 8, 2005
              If you live in driving range of Massachusetts, you could stop by and
              have a glass of Ninkasi ale:

              http://www.cambrew.com/ninkasi-ancient-sumerian-ale.htm

              I don't know if you could buy some bottles to go, though . . .

              I'm surprised Anchor Steam couldn't give you any help. They put a lot
              of effort into their Sumerian Beer Project but seem to be willing to
              share their knowledge with other brewers, probably because they realize
              there is not a lot of commercial potential for such a product. I seem
              to recall trying some of this beer in the early '90s and thinking it
              would be neat if it caught on enough to be brewed again.

              Maybe a home brewer could duplicate their beer from the info on their
              site:

              http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/ninkasi.htm

              -- MARCVS EQVITIVS LENTVLVS

              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 8, 2005
                Salve!

                Found this link and thought you all might likt to
                see it.

                http://www.bellinitravel.com/naples/restaurants/ristorante_internazionale.html

                No pics - just info.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 8, 2005
                  Salve!

                  I thought I would pass this site on to all of
                  you.

                  Be sure to check out the reproductions section at
                  the bottom.

                  I am really surprised there isn't a section on
                  Roman food.

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs