Re: [Apicius] Digest Number 860

  • Allan Hunnicutt
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      In my kitchen, i have three kinds of stick cinnamon. One I bought in a Mexican grocery. It is very fine and curly. The flavour is quite subtle. Then there are the commercially packaged cinnamon sticks from Spice Island with its rather strong flavour. And finally the Chinese cinnamon, cassia I assume, which is quite large and coarse and has a rather subtle flavour. The strongest by far are the ones from Spice Islands.

      Vale,

      Allan

      Apicius@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There are 2 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Steamed pudding?
      From: lilinah@...
      2. Re:cinnamon Digest Number 859
      From: squashrot@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:14:53 -0800
      From: lilinah@...
      Subject: Re: Steamed pudding?

      >Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:59:01 +0000
      >From: pmzaret@...
      >
      >Hi, I'm afraid I use store-bought ground cinnamon. It tastes about
      >the same as stick cinnamon, which I assumed was real.
      >Phil

      The so-called "cinnamon" sold in supermarkets is actually cassia. The
      bark is dark brown and relatively thick, and the sticks are composed
      of a single layer and only curled once or twice.

      Then there is true cinnamon, also called Ceylon cinnamon. The bark is
      a medium-light brown and quite thin. The sticks are composed of a
      multitude of thin layers and more complexly curled.

      There's little comparison in the flavor. True cinnamon has a
      marvelously complex flavor, sweeter than cassia, with many subtle
      undertones. Supermarket "cinnamon" by comparison has a simple and
      somewhat coarse flavor.

      For more information see:
      http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/

      Just type "cinnamon" into the search box, hit the "Find" button, and read on.

      Anahita

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 06:32:24 EST
      From: squashrot@...
      Subject: Re:cinnamon Digest Number 859

      One of the dirty little secrets of culinarity is that most people can't tell
      the difference between cassia and cinnamon, or care very much even if they
      can. Unlike caviar, the cheap stuff works fine.