Re:cinnamon [Apicius] Digest Number 859

  • medieval_man_inc@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2005
      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, pmzaret@c... wrote:
      > Thanks for the support. I was afraid I was committing a culinary
      >travesty.> Phil Zaret
      you werent I just wanted you to know the differnce. Mainly that
      ground cinnamon will contain corn starch. I wasnt tring to cut you
      down, I find people all the time that dont know the difference
      including cooking teachers. I was just putting out information. You
      can usually find "true" cinnamon in the spanish section of the
      supermarket. the key is if you break it in two and you get two pieces
      that is Cassia, if it crumbles like old parchment,,its cinnamon.

      >Unlike caviar, the cheap stuff works fine.
      most people cant tell the difference with caviar either

      it does taste about the same, and in a large mixture of spices, I cant
      tell any difference either. I use it alone on beef and pork and you
      can tell the difference. It has a much 'warmer' flavor and in excess
      can be considered hot.

      xaviar