Re: [Apicius] Digest Number 828

  • Sheila Michaels
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
      At 07:01 PM 2/28/2005 , you wrote:
      >Actually, the ancient Roman restaurant was called Cave Canum, located on
      >NYC's lower east side in an old bath house complete with tiled swimming pool
      >that passed as a tepidarium. It lasted about 2 - 3 years in the mid 1980s
      >before folding. It was much more a trendy spot for young professionals than
      >a serious recreation, although I met one of its line cooks about 6 years
      >ago, and he claimed to have used some recipes from Apicius. Restaurant
      >Associates' Forum of the 12 Caesars was high end Italian, in the 1960s but
      >hardly anything members of this list would consider "authentic." The
      >restaurant menu used cutesy names for dishes, not serious ancient food, as
      >its well-heeled audience would never have stood for something that unusual.

      Ah, the Cave would have been in the late '80s, at least. In the early &
      mid-'80s it was still a very notorious bathhouse, frequented by no one who
      was anyone, in the esteem of the people who knew. It had to close, as
      Mayor Koch closed all bath houses, for reasons of public health, at the
      height of the AIDS epidemic. It reopened with the play on the idea of
      letting the patron "beware", & an aura of loucheness, with intimations of
      gallows humor. Then it became an ersatz Chinese restaurant, with all
      transvestite waitresses. That may still be there, for all I know.
      As for the Forum, my memory is dim. I went with my parents, when
      I was a young woman, new to NY, & was very unimpressed, It seemed to me to
      be the same old restaurant fare with the same sort of setting, but with
      high prices & odd names, which made a fuss about itself. It was only many
      years later that I read that it was supposed to have some theme to it. I
      do understand now that it was supposed to have been a labor of love, for
      the restaurant's owner.
    • pmzaret@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
        For those seeking an ancient Roman restaurant, according to the vol. 3, no. 2 issue of the magazine "Gastronomica" published in 2003, there's an "archeological" restaurant near the Coliseum in Rome (Italy), called the "Magna Roma", serving Apicius-like dishes. The author, David Downie, found the food quite acceptable.
        Phil Z

        At 07:01 PM 2/28/2005 , you wrote:
        >Actually, the ancient Roman restaurant was called Cave Canum, located on
        >NYC's lower east side in an old bath house complete with tiled swimming pool
        >that passed as a tepidarium. It lasted about 2 - 3 years in the mid 1980s
        >before folding. It was much more a trendy spot for young professionals than
        >a serious recreation, although I met one of its line cooks about 6 years
        >ago, and he claimed to have used some recipes from Apicius. Restaurant
        >Associates' Forum of the 12 Caesars was high end Italian, in the 1960s but
        >hardly anything members of this list would consider "authentic." The
        >restaurant menu used cutesy names for dishes, not serious ancient food, as
        >its well-heeled audience would never have stood for something that unusual.

        Ah, the Cave would have been in the late '80s, at least. In the early &
        mid-'80s it was still a very notorious bathhouse, frequented by no one who
        was anyone, in the esteem of the people who knew. It had to close, as
        Mayor Koch closed all bath houses, for reasons of public health, at the
        height of the AIDS epidemic. It reopened with the play on the idea of
        letting the patron "beware", & an aura of loucheness, with intimations of
        gallows humor. Then it became an ersatz Chinese restaurant, with all
        transvestite waitresses. That may still be there, for all I know.
        As for the Forum, my memory is dim. I went with my parents, when
        I was a young woman, new to NY, & was very unimpressed, It seemed to me to
        be the same old restaurant fare with the same sort of setting, but with
        high prices & odd names, which made a fuss about itself. It was only many
        years later that I read that it was supposed to have some theme to it. I
        do understand now that it was supposed to have been a labor of love, for
        the restaurant's owner.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • Marco Berni
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
          Phil

          This restaurant has since closed.

          It seems to still operate, outwardly at least, with a Roman theme but I
          don't think the new restaurant's mission is archaeological cuisine as
          it was before.

          I'll take a look at there menu when I next pass it on my way into Rome
          and let you know what they are doing now.

          Marco

          I ate there once about three years ago and sent a review to the apicius
          group. It should be in the archives.