Re: [Apicius] Roman Cook Book

  • Robert Downie
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 7, 2005
      Correus wrote:

      > Greetings One & All!
      >
      > Saw this book for the first time while browsing
      > through Amazon - "Around the Table of the Romans:
      > Food and Feasting in Ancient Rome
      > by Patrick Faas, Sean Whiteside". Anyone out
      > there know anything about it?

      I have a copy and like it very much. It has quite a lot of background
      information in addition to the recipes (which also include the original
      Latin). The Chapter headings are:

      Culinary History:
      -The Age of Kings
      -The Republic
      -The Empire

      The Meal:
      -Table Manners and ttiqutette
      -The Courses
      -The Menu
      The Carousal

      Wine and Other Drinks
      -Wine
      -The Orgy
      -Wine Production
      -Other Drinks

      The Cook and His Condiments
      -The Cook
      -Cooking
      -Medicinal Theory
      -Flavors - Sour
      -Flavors - Salt
      -Flavors - Sweet
      -Flaviors - Bitter
      -Herbs
      -Spices
      -Other Ingredients

      From the Land
      -Cereals
      -Pulses
      -Vegetables
      -Fruits and Nuts

      From the Fire
      -Eating Meat
      -Sacrifice
      -Meat Distribuition
      -Animal Suffering
      -Pork
      -The Sacred Bull
      -Sheep and Goats
      -Dogs
      -Game

      From the Air
      -The Farmyard
      -Wild Birds

      From the Water

      There are lots of illustrations too, includng dishware, seating
      arrangements, etc.
      Faerisa
    • Gwenhwyvar
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 8, 2005
        I use it religiously. I do quite a bit of serious research and writing and I really like that book. Very good..highly recommend it.

        docendo discimus
        Gwenhwyvar
        http://www.housedragonor.org/art&science.html

      • medieval_man_inc@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 8, 2005
          --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, "Gwenhwyvar" <ladygwyn@y...> wrote:
          > I use it religiously. I do quite a bit of serious research and
          writing and I really like that book. Very good..highly recommend it.

          > docendo discimus
          > Gwenhwyvar
          > http://www.housedragonor.org/art&science.html
          Pardon me but is this you?
          Common Herbs In Roman Cooking According to Apicius - Lady Gwynhwyvaer
          ingen Grig, CMC, CGHM

          I saw a different name listed in the member list of your house and I
          was curious about a point you may have over looked or left out.. its
          about Pepper. What I mean is you dont mention that the pepper that
          the Romans preferred was actually Piper Longum (Jaborandi Pepper) not
          Piper nigrum (black pepper). I found this out many years back when I
          was looking into Piper cubeba ( Cubebs) which I now prefer.

          Xaviar
        • pmzaret@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 9, 2005
            What is the difference between Jaborandi pepper and black pepper?
            Phil Z
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 9, 2005
              Thanks for the info. I feel more comfortable
              buying it now.

              Correus

              --- Robert Downie <rdownie@...>

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • medieval_man_inc@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 11, 2005
                --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, pmzaret@a... wrote:
                > What is the difference between Jaborandi pepper and black pepper?
                > Phil Z

                Shape, species, taste, cost.