Roman Cook Book

    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 7, 2005
      Greetings One & All!

      Saw this book for the first time while browsing
      through Amazon - "Around the Table of the Romans:
      Food and Feasting in Ancient Rome
      by Patrick Faas, Sean Whiteside". Anyone out
      there know anything about it?

      Correus

      P.S. Sally - How's the book coming?

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Robert Downie
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 7, 2005
        Correus wrote:

        > Greetings One & All!
        >
        > Saw this book for the first time while browsing
        > through Amazon - "Around the Table of the Romans:
        > Food and Feasting in Ancient Rome
        > by Patrick Faas, Sean Whiteside". Anyone out
        > there know anything about it?

        I have a copy and like it very much. It has quite a lot of background
        information in addition to the recipes (which also include the original
        Latin). The Chapter headings are:

        Culinary History:
        -The Age of Kings
        -The Republic
        -The Empire

        The Meal:
        -Table Manners and ttiqutette
        -The Courses
        -The Menu
        The Carousal

        Wine and Other Drinks
        -Wine
        -The Orgy
        -Wine Production
        -Other Drinks

        The Cook and His Condiments
        -The Cook
        -Cooking
        -Medicinal Theory
        -Flavors - Sour
        -Flavors - Salt
        -Flavors - Sweet
        -Flaviors - Bitter
        -Herbs
        -Spices
        -Other Ingredients

        From the Land
        -Cereals
        -Pulses
        -Vegetables
        -Fruits and Nuts

        From the Fire
        -Eating Meat
        -Sacrifice
        -Meat Distribuition
        -Animal Suffering
        -Pork
        -The Sacred Bull
        -Sheep and Goats
        -Dogs
        -Game

        From the Air
        -The Farmyard
        -Wild Birds

        From the Water

        There are lots of illustrations too, includng dishware, seating
        arrangements, etc.
        Faerisa
      • Gwenhwyvar
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 8, 2005
          I use it religiously. I do quite a bit of serious research and writing and I really like that book. Very good..highly recommend it.

          docendo discimus
          Gwenhwyvar
          http://www.housedragonor.org/art&science.html

        • medieval_man_inc@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 8, 2005
            --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, "Gwenhwyvar" <ladygwyn@y...> wrote:
            > I use it religiously. I do quite a bit of serious research and
            writing and I really like that book. Very good..highly recommend it.

            > docendo discimus
            > Gwenhwyvar
            > http://www.housedragonor.org/art&science.html
            Pardon me but is this you?
            Common Herbs In Roman Cooking According to Apicius - Lady Gwynhwyvaer
            ingen Grig, CMC, CGHM

            I saw a different name listed in the member list of your house and I
            was curious about a point you may have over looked or left out.. its
            about Pepper. What I mean is you dont mention that the pepper that
            the Romans preferred was actually Piper Longum (Jaborandi Pepper) not
            Piper nigrum (black pepper). I found this out many years back when I
            was looking into Piper cubeba ( Cubebs) which I now prefer.

            Xaviar
          • pmzaret@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 9, 2005
              What is the difference between Jaborandi pepper and black pepper?
              Phil Z
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 9, 2005
                Thanks for the info. I feel more comfortable
                buying it now.

                Correus

                --- Robert Downie <rdownie@...>

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • medieval_man_inc@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 11, 2005
                  --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, pmzaret@a... wrote:
                  > What is the difference between Jaborandi pepper and black pepper?
                  > Phil Z

                  Shape, species, taste, cost.