Re: Garum?

  • medieval_man_inc@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 31, 2005
      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, pmzaret@a... wrote:
      > No, I'm just old. I studied Classics in college, and some years
      later, I got into cooking - then I combined my two interests. However,
      I found it difficult to get other people excited about Roman cooking
      (surprise?), but I've never lost interest myself. The one thing I've
      learned is that, while other people's interpretations of the original
      Latin recipes are interesting, if you want to cook like the Romans
      did, learn as much as you can about the period and work from the
      Apicius recipes directly (in translation, probably).
      > Phil Z
      I have found this with most non-cooks that use the old cook books.
      They use the redactions exactly and dont take into account each cooks
      taste. Even with modern recipes I only look at the ingredients not
      the amounts and always season to taste. Im sure you are quite the cook..
      One of my favorite Apicius recipes is a mushroom dish here it is
      with my scaled up version for feeding mass quanities.

      Mushrooms

      Boletos aliter:
      Tirsos eorum concisos in patellam novam perfundis, addito pipere,
      ligustico, modico melle; liquamine temperabis; oleum modice. (Apicius 315)

      #10 can mushrooms sliced

      Sauce:
      measure Reserved mushroom liquid. start with no more that I pint.
      Add/cup
      to taste pepper; fresh ground
      1/2 tsp celery seed alternate with or use Loveage; ground
      1 Tsp Honey
      1 Tsp Olive oil
      1 Tsp Butter

      Drain mushroom liquid and measure add measured ingreadents, bring to
      a boil, simmer and taste, alter ingreadients to taste, using
      additional reserved mushroom liquid. Thicken if necessary with corn
      starch slurry. Pan up mushrooms in pans and cover with sause, cover
      and hold in hot oven or over sterno.