smoking and cheese

  • Richard Cook
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
      With the new year comes the exciting prospect of a new season.

      This summer my group is to embark on a week long Roman camp. Not a public
      show as we so often do, but a society event to do some serious research.
      This gives the oportunity to do some experimental cooking over a longer
      period, so I am considering doing some smoking and cheese making.

      So the first question is - the romans did smoke meats - didn't they?

      Assuming a 'yes' to that question

      How did they smoke meat?
      Does anyone know of a Roman smoker that could be manufactured?
      What wood did they use - it had to be a hardwood - apple, oak? Was hickory
      known?
      Are there any known recipies?

      Did they make cheese?
      What sort of milk would they have used?
      How would they make it?
      Recipies?

      What other experiments might I do over a week - ideas gladly recieved.

      gnaeus

    • Cathy Kaufman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
        Look at Cato's De Agri Cultura (On Farming, tr. Dalby); in the instructions
        for making hams, the meat is smoked. Dalby's Food in the Ancient World also
        has a brief description of cheese-making techniques.

        Cathy Kaufman
        > With the new year comes the exciting prospect of a new season.
        >
        > This summer my group is to embark on a week long Roman camp. Not a public
        > show as we so often do, but a society event to do some serious research.
        > This gives the oportunity to do some experimental cooking over a longer
        > period, so I am considering doing some smoking and cheese making.
        >
        > So the first question is - the romans did smoke meats - didn't they?
        >
        > Assuming a 'yes' to that question
        >
        > How did they smoke meat?
        > Does anyone know of a Roman smoker that could be manufactured?
        > What wood did they use - it had to be a hardwood - apple, oak? Was
        > hickory
        > known?
        > Are there any known recipies?
        >
        > Did they make cheese?
        > What sort of milk would they have used?
        > How would they make it?
        > Recipies?
        >
        > What other experiments might I do over a week - ideas gladly recieved.
        >
        > gnaeus

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • fredlespect
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2005
          --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Cook" <richard_cook@b...>
          wrote:
          > So the first question is - the romans did smoke meats - didn't
          they?

          > Assuming a 'yes' to that question
          >
          > How did they smoke meat?
          > Does anyone know of a Roman smoker that could be manufactured?
          > What wood did they use - it had to be a hardwood - apple, oak? Was
          hickory
          > known?
          > Are there any known recipies?

          Hi,

          It was a long time ago, but I went through two articles that may
          interest you:
          -N. BLANC, « Techniques du fumage chez les Romains", Du lard ou du
          cochon… Approches archéologiques et ethnologiques de l'histoire de
          l'alimentation, Besançon, CRDA, Besançon, 1990, p. 76-77.
          -M. LAME, E. LLOPIS, J.-P. MAZIMANN, P. MOUGIN, "les Fumoirs à viande
          gallo-romains de Mathay (Doubs)", Revue Archéologique de l'Est, n°
          38, 1987, p. 424-429.
          I haven't seen the first one, but I read the other one. If I remember
          well, it describes the way meat smokers were built in gallo-roman
          eastern France, in the country of the Sequani, whose "charcuterie"
          (delicatessen in English?) the Roman were fond of...
          I hope it will help you,
          Fred.
        • Richard Cook
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2005
            Thank you, I was beginning to wonder if anyone had come across anything that
            described a Roman smoker.

            Any idea where I might get a copy of the article you describe. If it needs
            translating, although I can't speak/read French I know a man who can!

            Thanks

            Richard
            > So the first question is - the romans did smoke meats - didn't
            they?

            > Assuming a 'yes' to that question
            >
            > How did they smoke meat?
            > Does anyone know of a Roman smoker that could be manufactured?
            > What wood did they use - it had to be a hardwood - apple, oak? Was
            hickory
            > known?
            > Are there any known recipies?

            Hi,

            It was a long time ago, but I went through two articles that may
            interest you:
            -N. BLANC, « Techniques du fumage chez les Romains", Du lard ou du
            cochon… Approches archéologiques et ethnologiques de l'histoire de
            l'alimentation, Besançon, CRDA, Besançon, 1990, p. 76-77.
            -M. LAME, E. LLOPIS, J.-P. MAZIMANN, P. MOUGIN, "les Fumoirs à viande
            gallo-romains de Mathay (Doubs)", Revue Archéologique de l'Est, n°
            38, 1987, p. 424-429.
            I haven't seen the first one, but I read the other one. If I remember
            well, it describes the way meat smokers were built in gallo-roman
            eastern France, in the country of the Sequani, whose "charcuterie"
            (delicatessen in English?) the Roman were fond of...
            I hope it will help you,
            Fred.

          • Jean-Frederic Lespect
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 14, 2005
              Richard,

              You can get the article in any library that buys the "Revue Archéologique de l'Est". I don't know which ones do in England. Maybe you should have a look at the nearest university. There must also exist on-line catalogs...

              Indeed, you'll need a french to english translator.

              Good luck!

              Richard Cook <richard_cook@...> wrote:Thank you, I was beginning to wonder if anyone had come across anything that