Re: [Apicius] Pompeii, plants and purgatory

  • DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2004
      what's the ISBN #???

      Warrior Chef wrote:

> [...]
      > modern environment or in places where such a way-out approach might
      > sit well in the landscape. The book is not the last word, but it is
      > clear and aptly illustrated, and I think that beginners who want to be
      > "bold and 21st-century" would find that it helps them to get started.
      >
      > My personal favourite of the year is from the intelligent pen of Jenny
      > Uglow. Her A Little History of British Gardening (Chatto and
      > Windus/North Point Press £15.99/$35) is perceptive, well written and
      > not stuck on the usual beaten track. So much on this topic becomes
      > bogged down in detailed plans of gardens now lost to us, but she draws
      > us through the changing styles in a most engaging way. It is a really
      > thoughtful book and even non-gardeners should romp through it.
      >
      > She will understand if I say that the best light reading on the topic
      > to reappear this year are still the three collections of newspaper
      > articles by Vita Sackville West. Frances Lincoln has re-issued
      > replicas of these unsurpassed pieces. They unite a literary turn with
      > practical knowledge and a whimsical, inquiring mind and eye. Each
      > volume costs £14.99 and I hope that no generation of new gardeners
      > will grow up without reading such delights as her In Your Garden
      > Again. These books inspired me to try to be a gardening columnist.
      >
      > Lastly, a word on where to go and buy. Hatchards in London's
      > Piccadilly has a department in the care of a most experienced team,
      > Barry Delves and Jane McMorland Hunter. They have been on the job for
      > 22 years and know the difference between passing fashion and true
      > quality. Over in Paris, the same spirit is evident at the excellent
      > Maison Rustique in the Sixième's smart Rue Jacob. I always learn from
      > the knowledgeable displays of English and French books side-by-side,
      > in which the English titles are not always the winners.
      >
      > This year, these stores are joined by a new arrival, even richer and
      > more lovingly stocked. On my recent visit to the New York Botanical
      > Garden in The Bronx, I was delighted to find the smart new shop with
      > its magnificent section for gardening books of all eras and areas. The
      > word is already catching on among the city's garden-fanciers. It is
      > the place to browse through a brilliant range and a visit always ends
      > with yet another unexpected title leaving the shop in a smart new bag.

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129m7rf7q/M=324847.5707096.6763800.3001176/D=groups/S=1705182773:HM/EXP=1103035408/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i5onns2/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1102949008994375>
      >

      > Get unlimited calls to
      >
      > U.S./Canada
      >
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129m7rf7q/M=324847.5707096.6763800.3001176/D=groups/S=1705182773:HM/EXP=1103035408/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i5onns2/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1102949008994375>

      a.k.a.: Marsh Wise

      LEGIO IX HISPANA COH III NorCal Chapter

      Websitarius:
      -reenactor.Net: http://www.reenactor.net/
      -Legio XXII "Primigenia": http://www.reenactor.net/units/legioxxii/
      Netscape Aim/AOL screen name: Sturmkatze

      Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2005
        Salve!

        I am looking for information on Pliny the Elder's
        Natural History.

        Can any one tell me which volumes contain the
        information on gardening; wine making; and
        foodstuff and cooking? I had the info written
        down but can't seem to find it.

        Thanks,

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • P. Dominus Antonius
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2005
          Pliny the Elder, The Natural History
          English version:
          http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?lookup=Plin.+Nat.+toc

          Latin versions:
          http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:text:1999.02.0138:toc
          http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Pliny_the_Elder/home.html

          From:
          Pliny the Elder, The Natural History (eds. John Bostock, M.D., F.R.S.,
          H.T. Riley, Esq., B.A.)
          Editions and translations: English (ed. John Bostock, M.D., F.R.S.,
          H.T. Riley, Esq., B.A.) | Latin (ed. Karl Friedrich Theodor Mayhoff)

          # BOOK I.
          # BOOK II. AN ACCOUNT OF THE WORLD AND THE ELEMENTS.
          # BOOK III. AN ACCOUNT OF COUNTRIES, NATIONS, SEAS, TOWNS, HAVENS,
          MOUNTAINS, RIVERS, DISTANCES, AND PEOPLES WHO NOW EXIST OR FORMERLY
          EXISTED.
          # BOOK IV. AN ACCOUNT OF COUNTRIES, NATIONS, SEAS, TOWNS, HAVENS,
          MOUNTAINS, RIVERS, DISTANCES, AND PEOPLES WHO NOW EXIST OR FORMERLY
          EXISTED.
          # BOOK V. AN ACCOUNT OF COUNTRIES, NATIONS, SEAS, TOWNS, HAVENS,
          MOUNTAINS, RIVERS, DISTANCES, AND PEOPLES WHO NOW EXIST OR FORMERLY
          EXISTED.
          # BOOK VI. AN ACCOUNT OF COUNTRIES, NATIONS, SEAS, TOWNS, HAVENS,
          MOUNTAINS, RIVERS, DISTANCES, AND PEOPLES WHO NOW EXIST, OR FORMERLY
          EXISTED.
          # BOOK VII. MAN, HIS BIRTH, HIS ORGANIZATION, AND THE INVENTION OF THE ARTS.
          # BOOK VIII. THE NATURE OF THE TERRESTRIAL ANIMALS.
          # BOOK IX. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF FISHES.
          # BOOK X. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF BIRDS.
          # BOOK XI. THE VARIOUS KINDS OF INSECTS.
          # BOOK XII. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF TREES
          # BOOK XIII. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF EXOTIC TREES, AND AN ACCOUNT OF UNGUENTS.
          # BOOK XIV. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF THE FRUIT TREES.
          # BOOK XV. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF THE FRUIT-TREES.
          # BOOK XVI. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF THE FOREST TREES.
          # BOOK XVII. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF THE CULTIVATED TREES.
          # BOOK XVIII. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF GRAIN.
          # BOOK XIX. THE NATURE AND CULTIVATION OF FLAX, AND AN ACCOUNT OF
          VARIOUS GARDEN PLANTS.
          # BOOK XX. REMEDIES DERIVED FROM THE GARDEN PLANTS.
          # BOOK XXI. AN ACCOUNT OF FLOWERS. AND THOSE USED FOR CHAPLETS MORE
          PARTICULARLY.
          # BOOK XXII. THE PROPERTIES OF PLANTS AND FRUITS.
          # BOOK XXIII. THE REMEDIES DERIVED FROM THE CULTIVATED TREES.
          # BOOK XXIV. THE REMEDIES DERIVED FROM THE FOREST TREES.
          # BOOK XXV. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF WILD PLANT
          # BOOK XXVI. A CONTINUATION OF THE REMEDIES DERIVED FROM PLANTS,
          CLASSIFIED ACCORDING TO PARTICULAR DISEASES.
          # BOOK XXVII. A DESCRIPTION OF PLANTS, AND OF THE REMEDIES DERIVED FROM THEM.
          # BOOK XXVIII. REMEDIES DERIVED FROM LIVING CREATURES.
          # BOOK XXIX. REMEDIES DERIVED FROM LIVING CREATURES.
          # BOOK XXX. REMEDIES DERIEVED FROM LIVING CREATURES.
          # BOOK XXXI. REMEDIES DERIVED FROM THE AQUATIC PRODUCTION
          # BOOK XXXII. REMEDIES DERIVED FROM AQUATIC ANIMALS.
          # BOOK XXXIII. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF METALS.
          # BOOK XXXIV. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF METALS.
          # BOOK XXXV. AN ACCOUNT OF PAINTINGS AND COLOURS.
          # BOOK XXXVI. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF STONES.
          # BOOK XXXVII. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF PRECIOUS STONES.

          --
          >|P. Dominus Antonius|<
          Tony Dah m

          Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
          Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius

          On 5/31/05, Correus <correus@...> wrote:
          > Salve!
          >
          > I am looking for information on Pliny the Elder's
          > Natural History.
          >
          > Can any one tell me which volumes contain the
          > information on gardening; wine making; and
          > foodstuff and cooking? I had the info written
          > down but can't seem to find it.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Correus
        • Weingarten
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2005
            bk viii terrestrial animals
            bk ix fishes
            bk x birds
            bk xi insects (including honey) and animal parts eg stomach , cheeks etc
            bk xii trees inc nuts carobs etc
            bk xiv-xvi fruit trees
            bk xvii cultivation of trees
            bk xviii grain
            bk xix garden plants inc cabbage garlic etc
            bk xx remedies from garden plants
            bk xxii properties of plants and remedies from them
            bk xxiii-xxxii remedies from plants and animals (with scattered details of
            foods as well as medicines)

            best
            Susan

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 17, 2005
              Susan -

              I'm sorry, I forgot to thank you for this info!

              Larry

              Yahoo! Mail