Re: Apicius 8,6,4 --the use of garum

  • Daniel Serra
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 1999
      Hi Cateline
      Hmm...I am not exactly sure wich sort of thai fish sauce I used....it
      was what I could find in my local oriental shop....was a bit stressed
      this morning...
      As for the amount of garum used..must admit that I was abit
      "unscitific" there..I mixed oil and garum and tasted it...when it was
      salty enough without the garum being predominant..

      I chosed to bake it, with a mixture of oil and fishsauce spread over
      the lamb steak, in a cast iron pot..actualy chosed to use an ovenproof
      clay pot "R�mertopf"..but it had been misplaced by a friend so I had
      to settle with what we had.

      After about an hour I removed it from the pot cut deeply into it
      instead of cutting it to pieces ...following my swedish translation
      of the recipe...over it I poured the mixture of fishsauce, oil, pepper
      and asafoetida ( again just mixed it until it got what I thought was
      a proper taste, )...another perhasps twenty minutes in the
      oven...took it out and served it saved some of the mixture to be
      poured over the ready lamb...let the guests chose to do so themself

      Was quite nice ...
      bye,
      Daniel