Re: [Apicius] Rue Substitute?

  • pmzaret@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 17, 2004
      Try celery leaves. There cheap and easy to find, and are nice and bitter.
      Phil Z

    • lilinah@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
        Phil Z wrote:
        > Try celery leaves. There cheap and easy to find, and are nice and bitter.

        I don't agree. First, celery doesn't resemble the taste of rue.
        Second, celery is the logical substitute for lovage, if one cannot
        get lovage. Since both lovage and rue leaves are called for in many
        recipes, it seems unlikely to me to use one herb for both.

        Anahita