Re: [Apicius] Tracta

  • RM
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 17 5:22 AM
      Well, it was not always really dry since Apic. 5,1,3 tells us to dry it
      before use: "tres orbiculos tractae siccas et confringis" And it shouldn't
      be that solid (not like lasagne!).
      Best regards
      RM

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 17 5:32 AM
        The solidity of lasagna comes from the presence of egg.

        Take out the egg and substitute water. Also considering that we would
        not be talking of durum wheat semola but a simple flour and the texture
        would be much softer when 'fresh'.

        When dried however it would be quite stiff though not as brittle as
        today's dried pasta.

        Marco

        On Nov 17, 2004, at 2:22 PM, RM wrote:

        > Well, it was not always really dry since Apic. 5,1,3 tells us to dry it
        > before use: "tres orbiculos tractae siccas et confringis" And it
        > shouldn't
        > be that solid (not like lasagne!).
        > Best regards
        > RM

      • RM
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 17 1:02 PM
          What I actually don't understand is why they didn't use flour directly to
          thicken sauces. Eventually "tracta" as used by Apicius is a bit similar to
          how Cato said to prepare amulum (de agricultura XCVI / 87): "Amulum sic
          facito: siliginem purgato bene; postea in alueum indat, eo addat aquam bis
          in die. die decimo aquam exsiccato, exurgeto bene, in alueo puro misceto
          bene: facito tamquam faex fiat. ..."
          Best regards
          RM

        • pmzaret@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 17 3:25 PM
            The Romans had storage problems just as we do. Flour, though it appears dry,
            has some moisture, which can lead to spoilage, and is often infested by little
            mites. Rock hard crackers - like hard tack - that have been dried and
            redried, and stored in a tight container, can resist the forces of nature for quite a
            while.
            Phil Z

          • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 18 5:35 PM

              >According to the recipie translations I've been looking at, some of
              >them (including Flower and Rosenbaum) mention cooking in pastry
              (which seems to be 'tracta' in the original Latin),

              You might find this article useful,
              Ranvaig

              http://www.ieha.asso.fr/revue_food_history/sommaires_et_resumes_d_articles/the_debate_about_ancient_tracta_evidence_from_the_talmud_article208.html
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 18 6:23 PM

                >According to the recipie translations I've been looking at, some of
                >them (including Flower and Rosenbaum) mention cooking in pastry
                >(which seems to be 'tracta' in the original Latin),

                Also in modern Greek cooking they use "trahana" a dried fermented
                dough with milk and eggs. I've been kicking in the back corners of
                my brain for this name since you posted... I knew it was somewhat
                similar. I don't know if it is related, but it does make me wonder.

                Ranvaig