Re: [Apicius] Digest Number 795

  • RM
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 15, 2004
      ... and here you will find a huge link list:
      http://www.mittelalterlich-kochen.de/LINK/90englisch.html

      Best regards

      RM

      From: "RM"

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:38:05 +0100
      From: "RM"
      Subject: Re: Apicius

      Hi Sally,

      the date of Apicius is hard to determine, indeed. I wouldn't call the
      Apician Latin "proto Italian" of course - it's just some kind of jargon
      culinaire. In most parts it is still good Latin. But I agree mainly with
      Brandt ("Untersuchungen zum römischen Kochbuche", Philologus Suppl. XIX, 3
      from 1927) who states that about 60% of the recipes have been taken from the
      original cook book by Apicius (he thought there were at least two cook books
      written by Apicius) and that the final version has been completed at the end
      of the 4th century. The last sure terminus post quem seems to be the
      "Concicla Commodiana" from Commodus who became emperor in 180. Well, I think
      it is not that necessary and not even possible to attribute to it an exact
      date.

      Best regards

      Robert

      Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 5:29 PM
      Subject: [Apicius] Apicius

      Hi all

      re other editions

      [1] In French, B. Guégan Les dix livres dâ?TApicius (Paris, 1933); in
      Italian, G. Baseggio (Venice, 1852), P. Buzzi (Milan, 1930), of Book 10
      only, A. A.
      Del Re, De Re Coquinaria Libro X: Il Libro del Pesce (Milan, 1998); in
      German, R. Gollmer (Breslau-Leipzig, 1909; 2nd revised edition, Rostock,
      1928);
      E. Danneil (Leipzig, 1911); in Flemish, N. Van Der Auwera, Apicius De Re
      Coquinaria: De Romeinse Kookkunst (Brussels, 2001).
      This is part of a note in our soon to be at the printer edition of Apicius.
      I recently heard that Flower or was it Rosenbaum actually did a German
      translation though I have never seen it mentioned. It might be the one you
      mean
      or it might be the Gollmer one though i doubt it given its date.
      Re our Apicius it is so close it frustrating. We fully expect to hand it
      over to the publisher before Christmas. Late spring publish date. We only
      have
      the very sticky issue of the date to settle. The date of the text i mean.
      Apicius has been cited for years as a prime example of Late Latin ie a
      early form of proto Italian. We dont think it is at all and have to be
      very
      carefull how we justify this , as huge numbers of Latin schollars will just
      condemn us out of hand.
      all best
      Sally

      Yahoo! Groups Links