Apicius

  • sallygrain@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 26, 2004
      Hi

      can the member who was kind anough to send me his copy of the New York MS
      for our edition of Apicius e mail me please. I did have all yoyr details but
      have lost them ????

      We are to hand over the text to the publisher very soon

      sally

    • sallygrain@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 12 8:29 AM
        Hi all

        re other editions

        [1] In French, B. Guégan Les dix livres d’Apicius (Paris, 1933); in
        Italian, G. Baseggio (Venice, 1852), P. Buzzi (Milan, 1930), of Book 10 only, A. A.
        Del Re, De Re Coquinaria Libro X: Il Libro del Pesce (Milan, 1998); in
        German, R. Gollmer (Breslau-Leipzig, 1909; 2nd revised edition, Rostock, 1928);
        E. Danneil (Leipzig, 1911); in Flemish, N. Van Der Auwera, Apicius De Re
        Coquinaria: De Romeinse Kookkunst (Brussels, 2001).
        This is part of a note in our soon to be at the printer edition of Apicius.
        I recently heard that Flower or was it Rosenbaum actually did a German
        translation though I have never seen it mentioned. It might be the one you mean
        or it might be the Gollmer one though i doubt it given its date.
        Re our Apicius it is so close it frustrating. We fully expect to hand it
        over to the publisher before Christmas. Late spring publish date. We only have
        the very sticky issue of the date to settle. The date of the text i mean.
        Apicius has been cited for years as a prime example of Late Latin ie a
        early form of proto Italian. We dont think it is at all and have to be very
        carefull how we justify this , as huge numbers of Latin schollars will just
        condemn us out of hand.
        all best
        Sally

      • Cathy Kaufman
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 12 2:50 PM
          Sally,

          Can you tell me a bit about how you put together the basic text for the
          translation? Did you use any of the manuscript from the New York Academy of
          Medicine?

          Cathy Kaufman

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • lilinah@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 12 6:19 PM
            Sally wrote:
            >Re our Apicius it is so close it [is] frustrating. We fully expect to hand it
            >over to the publisher before Christmas. Late spring publish date.

            Whoo-hoo! I look forward to it! Will there be an American edition too?

            >We only
            >have the very sticky issue of the date to settle. The date of the
            >text i mean.
            >Apicius has been cited for years as a prime example of Late Latin ie a
            >early form of proto Italian. We dont think it is at all and have to be very
            >carefull how we justify this, as huge numbers of Latin scholars will just
            >condemn us out of hand.

            Even *good* scholarship can be controversial.

            All the best,
            Anahita
          • RM
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 13 2:38 PM
              Hi Sally,

              the date of Apicius is hard to determine, indeed. I wouldn't call the
              Apician Latin "proto Italian" of course - it's just some kind of jargon
              culinaire. In most parts it is still good Latin. But I agree mainly with
              Brandt ("Untersuchungen zum römischen Kochbuche", Philologus Suppl. XIX, 3
              from 1927) who states that about 60% of the recipes have been taken from the
              original cook book by Apicius (he thought there were at least two cook books
              written by Apicius) and that the final version has been completed at the end
              of the 4th century. The last sure terminus post quem seems to be the
              "Concicla Commodiana" from Commodus who became emperor in 180. Well, I think
              it is not that necessary and not even possible to attribute to it an exact
              date.

              Best regards

              Robert

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 14, 2006
                Hi

                This is our list of presented books. Do we or you give the manuscript
                holding libraries their copy?

                Biblioteque Nationale Paris hold Vinidarius
                New york academy of Medicine
                Vatican Library
                They all request a copy for allowing access to the MS

                other wise :
                Institute of Classical studies library senate house Malet st London WC1E 7HU
                where much of our research took place - Sue willets is coming and is senior
                librarian

                Warburg Institute -Gordon Sq- (no its Woburn sq as I now know. Most of the
                building is on Gordon) london WC1H OAB

                Andrew Dalby - I want to inscribe though and as he cannot come - Mourine is
                coming - Send me one and I will post it

                Cathy Kaufman - same as above rearly - I need to inscribe so though it would
                be nice to make use of your postage offer I dont see how it will work. She
                did say she would come to launch but I havnt heard. She is coming to Oxford
                so I dont hold up much hope.

                We are also sending to Prof Jim Adams, Prof Barry Hall and a guy called
                Larry in the US who lent us his copy of the NY MS years ago.

                So.. We have 10 copies yes? If the MS libraries come out of our
                allocation we have used it up already. You post the libraries and send me 5 copies
                left over. Or 7 or 10 depending on your policy. If we have used are
                allocation already please send 5 extra in any case @ £20 for us I imagain?

                All best Are you coming to the Italian afterwards?

                Sally

              • sallygrain@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 14, 2006
                  Hi all

                  Our new edition of Apicius is technically out in the sence that I have a
                  copy of it here. I do not think it will be distributed untill well into July and
                  august on line or even in books shops outside uk but you can get it from the
                  publisher I believe Prospectbooks.com
                  On line the discount is phenominal for the publisher so i am encouraging you
                  to bypass amazon etc as they reduce the profits for the little man to much
                  in his and now our view.

                  I hope you like it - I do not think we could of said more or done more to
                  illuminate the text.

                  Sally Grainger

                • Tim Sharrock
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 15, 2006
                    On Wednesday, June 14, 2006, 11:26:50 AM, Sally wrote:
                    [edited]
                    > Our new edition of Apicius is technically out in the sense
                    > that I have a copy of it here.

                    congratulations!

                    > I do not think it will be distributed until well into July
                    > and August ... but you can get it from the publisher I
                    > believe Prospectbooks.com

                    the web-site seems to be
                    http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/shop/system/index.html

                    > On line the discount is phenomenal for the publisher so am
                    > encouraging you to bypass amazon etc as they reduce the
                    > profits for the little man too much in his and now our
                    > view. I hope you like it - I do not think we could of said
                    > more or done more to illuminate the text. Sally Grainger

                    Decisions, decisions ... the discount Amazon is offering to
                    the customer is also very significant :( or maybe I should
                    ask my wife to borrow the ICS copy... though if that is the
                    same as the Roman Society Library it may go out to a
                    reviewer.

                    I look forward to reading it anyway!

                    Tim
                    --
                    Tim Sharrock mailto:tim@...
                  • jdm314
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 18, 2006
                      Regarding Sally's new books:

                      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, sallygrain@... wrote:
                      > I do not think it will be distributed untill well into July and
                      > august on line or even in books shops outside uk but you can get it from the
                      > publisher I believe Prospectbooks.com

                      The actual URL for Prospect Books is, bizarrely, http://
                      www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/

                      Their US distributer is http://www.oxbowbooks.com . This site is currently
                      offering a special deal "for today only" (I don't know if that's literally true or not,
                      but if you're interested I'd order it today just to be safe): you can get both of the
                      new books for a total of $75.00+s&h. This is a great deal! That's less than the
                      cover price of the more expensive one.

                      JDM
                    • Glenda Robinson
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 19, 2006
                        I think the 'for today' is part of the title, not the offer.

                        Certainly a great deal. And they have Bishop & Coulston's "Roman Military Equipment from the Punic Wars to the Fall of Rome" 2nd ed for $32 for the military minded!

                        Glenda.
                        > I do not think it will be distributed untill well into July and
                        > august on line or even in books shops outside uk but you can get it from the
                        > publisher I believe Prospectbooks.com

                        The actual URL for Prospect Books is, bizarrely, http://
                        www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/

                        Their US distributer is http://www.oxbowbooks.com . This site is currently
                        offering a special deal "for today only" (I don't know if that's literally true or not,
                        but if you're interested I'd order it today just to be safe): you can get both of the
                        new books for a total of $75.00+s&h. This is a great deal! That's less than the
                        cover price of the more expensive one.

                        JDM

                      • Susan
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 19, 2006
                          Thanks for the heads up on this, I went ahead and ordered both; that's a great price :)

                          Susan

                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 19, 2006
                            In a message dated 8/19/06 2:41:16 AM, glendaslists@... writes:

                            > I think the 'for today' is part of the title, not the offer.

                            D'oh, that was silly of me!

                            JDM