Re: culinary and medicinal herb beds

  • gkbagne
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2004
      From Lepella, to Richard, Salve!
      How about a garden patterned after the herbs and vegetables
      mentioned in Vergil's "Moretum" (The Salad). It is about the morning
      of a small farmer. You can read the entire poem in English at
      vergil.org. Vergil mentions olive oil, so you'd need an olive tree.
      The vegetables mentioned are cabbage, sorrel, beets, mallows,
      parsnips, leeks, lettuce, radish, onion, endive and cress. The herbs
      are garlic, parsley, rue, corriander, dill, elacampane, colwart and
      rue. For color there would be poppies which were grown for medicinal
      purposes.
      Good Luck on your project! Be Well!

      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Cook" <richard_cook@b...> wrote:
      > Hi folks I'd like to create to Roman herb beds. A culinary bed and a
      > medicinal bed. The finished item need to be educative, useful for
      > cooking/medicines and decorative, and should contain a few unusual
      plants.

      > The beds will be created near a Roman 2nd century mansio (remains)
      in the