Re: [Apicius] Digest Number 757

  • Allan Hunnicutt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4 3:24 AM
      Date wine is something that I find intriguing. I wonder if the ancient Mesopotamians, Assyrians and others in the Middle East drank it.

      Sasha's reminder that not all Arabs are Muslims is also intriquing, and probably a good thing to remember in a diversified and complex geopolitical world. From what I have been told, Egypt is also about 20% non-Muslim, much of the minority being Coptic Christian.

      In Roman times the Sabbateans in southern Arabia were in control of much of the spice trade and exotic essences such as myrrh and frankensence were produced there. Classicist Andrew Dalby says in his book Empire of Pleasures that myrrha was the resin of the tree Commiphora myrrha native to southwestern Arabia and Somalia. . The mythical yrrha, he contineues, had tricked her father into sex, and was turned into the myrrh tree as her divine punishment. Qualities and prices of myrrh varied from greatly but 12 to 16 denarii was usual. The very best stacte could fetch 50 the pound. It was also used to flavour wine, it seems.

      Apicius@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There are 2 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Verjus
      From: "gkbagne"
      2. Re: Re: Verjus
      From: Sasha_khan

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 15:49:32 -0000
      From: "gkbagne"
      Subject: Re: Verjus

      From Lepella, to All Salvette!

      I get my verjuice for less than $2 a bottle in my local
      international market in the middle-eastern section. I don't know
      who makes it because I can't read Arabic. I can also get rose water
      in both the middle-eastern and Indian section. In the Indian
      section I get hing (asa foedita) and over with the Thai food they've
      got pure anchovie fish sauce. One Stop Shopping! I was also suprised
      to find date wine in the Arabic section- I didn't think Muslims were
      allowed alcohol. I live in Reno, Nevada- population just a bit over
      a hundred thou- so you can find things even if you don't live in a
      very big city. It just took a bit of hunting and reading labels- I
      couldn't ask the cashier because she speaks Tagalog (? it sounds
      like Spanish but I can only catch every 10th word) but I had a lot
      of fun exploring shops of all different nationalities. I ended up
      with lots of tea and crackers just because the tins were so
      intriguing!

      Good Hunting!

      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Terry Williams
      wrote:
      > I was going through a 2002 issue of Food and Wine
      > magazine and they has an article about an Australian
      > vineyard in the Barossa area. The owner (Maggie
      > Black)makes and sells verjus but they said that it
      > was also available from Navarro Vineyards @
      > navarrowine.com. It's only $9.00 for a 750 ml bottle
      > plus shipping ($12.00 to Michigan).
      >
      > Maracruz who lurks

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:26:35 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Sasha_khan
      Subject: Re: Re: Verjus

      > was also suprised
      > to find date wine in the Arabic section- I didn't
      > think Muslims were
      > allowed alcohol.

      Not all Arabs are Muslim...

      Sasha