Re: [Apicius] Rue or Borage?

  • Gaylin Walli
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1 3:25 AM
      On Tuesday, June 1, 2004, at 01:06 AM, jdm314@... wrote:

      > It's not rue, and from what little I know abut borage that sounds
      > right to
      > me. Someone who knows more want to comment?

      I have both. Assumming it's nothing else at all, it's definitely not
      Rue. It's borage. Rue looks much different.

      Iasmin/gaylin
    • Heather Rose Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1 7:42 AM
        At 4:38 AM +0000 6/1/04, gkbagne wrote:
        > >From Lepella, to All Salvete!
        > I've got a nice herb garden growing this year, but I've run into a
        >snag. A windstorm came through and blew away all my tags. Now I
        >have a mystery herb and I can't remember if the bed is borage or
        >rue. I've never cooked with either before so I'm hoping someone
        >here can identify it from my desription. The leaves are broad and
        >fuzzy with no apparent stalks and they taste distinctly of melon.

        That would definitely be borage. Rue has small glossy leaves --
        never tasted it, but I believe it's one of the traditional "bitter
        herbs".

        Heather
        --
        *****
        Heather Rose Jones
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3 6:04 PM
          Rue grows in trifoliate clusters from nodes off a woody stem, which looks a
          little like an ash or larch tree (small). The leaves are sort of mitten
          shaped & an intense, very dark green, when small. The smell is intense,
          slightly camphorous, verging on the medicinal. It's & very fresh. I used
          to grow it in window boxes for the pleasure of the way the room filled with
          it when my cats wound their way through the window boxes & when the breeze
          blew. I've tried it in salads, in the same way I sometimes add young
          horseradish leaves, or a touch of rocket or cress. I remember that too
          much is not good, but not why. Might be an emetic.

          At 11:38 PM 5/31/2004 , you wrote:
          > From Lepella, to All Salvete!
          > I've got a nice herb garden growing this year, but I've run into a
          >snag. A windstorm came through and blew away all my tags. Now I
          >have a mystery herb and I can't remember if the bed is borage or
          >rue. I've never cooked with either before so I'm hoping someone
          >here can identify it from my desription. The leaves are broad and
          >fuzzy with no apparent stalks and they taste distinctly of melon.
          >Thanks for your help!
          > Be Well!
        • Weingarten
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3 10:48 PM
            Rue was considered to be an abortifacant and antaphrodisiac.
            Susan Weingarten