Re: [Apicius] Digest Number 733

  • Allan Hunnicutt
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27 5:28 AM
      Would saleratus mixed with cream of tartar have had much stronger a flavour than modern baking soda or baking powder?

      There are 3 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Digest Number 732
      From: Pattie Lawler
      2. Soda In cooking
      From: "Gwenhwyvar"
      3. Re: Soda In cooking
      From: iasmin@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 05:41:50 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Pattie Lawler
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 732

      > i don't know if he ships his wares to the USA, you
      > can only ask.
      >
      > e-mail - trinitycourt@...
      >
      > hope this helps
      >
      > gnaeus

      http://www.trinitycourtpotteries.co.uk/

      Thank you so much. I will certainly ask.
      P!

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:01:01 -0700
      From: "Gwenhwyvar"
      Subject: Soda In cooking

      Several of the recipes in Apicius and Cato call for the use of soda. Is regualr cooking soda or bicarbonate suitable for use.

      Gwen

      Message: 3
      Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:48:50 +0000
      From: iasmin@...
      Subject: Re: Soda In cooking

      I got this from http:/www.florilegium.org/ using the search words "Apicius" and "soda" and thought it might help you out, Gwen. -- Iasmin

      sal*e*ra*tus (noun)
      [New Latin sal aeratus aerated salt]
      First appeared 1837
      : a leavening agent consisting of potassium or sodium bicarbonate

      From"The Boston Cooking School CB, by Mrs. D.A. Lincoln, 1884:
      "...Pearlash is purified potash.

      Saleratus is prepared from pearlash by exposing it to carbonic acid gas.
      Pure, strong alkalies are powerful corrosive poisons, eating the coats of the
      stomach perhaps quicker than any other poisonous agent. This caustic or
      burning property is somewhat weakened by the carbonic acid united with them,
      and is therefore less in bicarbonate of soda than in the potash compounds...

      Soda has a great affinity for water; and when wet, a combination takes place
      which allows some of the carbonic acid gas to escape. This may easily be
      seen by the effervescence which occurs when soda is dissolved in hot water.
      Soda alone, when mixed with wet dough, will give off gas enough to raise the
      dough; but it leaves a strong alkaline taste and a greenish yellow color,
      and, being poisonous must be neutralized by an acid, or else its use is not
      admissible..."

      So saleratus is/was stronger than baking soda, but was soaked in liquid
      before use to expel some of the gas which causes the 'effluvia' & deep yellow
      color mentioned in your recipe.

      Saleratus was also used mixed with a weak acid such as cream of tartar.